Sign in to follow this  
Bender

Blue marble delta's

:D It has been over a year so I want to dance right now, I have eggs!

Blue x steel blue marble delta's bred by Kristin, Mr Moon and Miss Piggy, shown here. Currently Mr moon is a bright blue with black head and a small amount of white on his dorsal. Miss piggy is currently a solid steel.

Tank is a 20l gravel based snail and plant tank I had noticed was swarming with moina and other little critters. Heater in but not needed.

Male added to tank Monday 25th January, also added IAL extract and four banana lily leaves, he immediately built nest under the largest. Has been eating mozzies, bbs and

Girl was shown to boy daily for about an hour at a time, floated in tank Thursday afternoon, released Friday 29th January at 11pm.

No eggs at 8.30 am, but sign of wrapping being attempted. 2pm, eggs found and female removed. She is recovering in a take-out tub, her body seems ok but has much fin damage, they are not missing, but shredded, like a fringe.

Moon was full, weather is humid and rainy 30 degrees+.

Edited by Bender

Great news Julia!!! Congratulations!!!

Yes i meant Julia! I thought Julia and didn't even realised i had typed Peta! Sorry Julia!

Edited by Fergus

Um, Manda...you mean Julia....lol.

Congrats Julia!!!! Can't wait to see pics as they grow!!

Congrats on the eggs / babies Julia!

Looks like you should end up with some interesting little ones from that pairing - fingers crossed all goes well for you (and them)

Thanks everyone! He seems like a good dad so far. I thought he'd eaten the eggs, only to find them in another nest under a diferent leaf. Then over night he moved them all to a nest in the middle of the tank with no cover what so ever, then this morning after I turned on the light he moved them again to another nest under yet another lily leaf. He is eating, so hopefully he won't wear himself out.

what a busy boy! maybe he's practicing for when he has to chase the little devils and put them back in the nest!

We have tails! I counted about thirty.

I think all his practice was in vain Waynne, they are only going down a few cm then bobbing right back up again like little yo-yo's. Sometimes they bob up on an angle and end up hanging at the surface, but most of the time they just go right back where they came from. It's confusing dad, he rushes over to a falling one only to find it already nearly in the nest again when he gets there. Most of the time he just lets them go, but occasionally he picks it up and takes it to a different spot, just to show them who is boss.

They are tiny, but look fatter than I remember my first spawn being. I can't get a photo of them so it's hard to know for sure. Last time I could only see them from above, so that could be the difference.

Fatter fry is always better, IMO. :tongue: Congrats on your tails!

Most of the time he just lets them go, but occasionally he picks it up and takes it to a different spot, just to show them who is boss.

:confused:

Hi Kristin! I've been meaning to send you a pm to let you know your babies are parents, so glad you found this!

I forgot to say, this tank is on rainwater, as are all my betta since the december. (I don't have a water tank so every available container is acting as a resevoir!)

There is one little fish ahead of the rest and free swimming tonight. It's still irratic like a little insect, so cute! I added some green water today.

:cheer: Can't wait to see pics! I still can't believe how much the parents have changed :)

Lol, Sorry Kristin, it will be another day yet before pics. I took some yesterday but hadn't uploaded them, now my computer is not co-opperating. I'll try again tomorrow. I found a picture of Mr Moon that I took soon after I bought him home too, it shows his 'cartoon eyes' so I'll have to post it as well.

Dad had to be removed from the tank yesterday. I don't think he meant to swallow a fry, but he got distracted by onother fry making a quick dash, and grabbed it too, when he spat, he only released one. I decided a dad with ADD is probably more danger to the fry than a benefit, and pulled him out. He mopped for a couple of hours, then realised he was floating next to Miss Piggy and set about building a big nest.

I found a hydra in my tank! I removed it pronto, and I can't find any more, but I doubt there was just one. At any other time I would have been fascinated, just not when the fry are small enough to get eaten! I'll be glad when the fry are bigger and I don't have to worry anymore.

I am now totally converted to using vinegar eels instead of microworms. I can safely put enough food in the tank to last for a whole day, the fry tiny bellies always look full, it doesn't stink, attract ants or get full of fruit fly. The fry are zipping all over the tank chasing all sorts of things. It's quite funny to see one stalking an adult moina, there's no way it could eat it, but the movement just sucks them in. The juvenile moina, planaria and smaller cyclops are fair game though. I'm not sure if the the fry are big enough to eat bbs yet, but I've only just glued a new hatcher together today, (the old one became a dog chew shortly after set up on wednesday, sigh), so they wont be ready till sunday night anyway and I think they should be big enough by then.

As promised here are a few fry pics. They aren't brilliant, I can't seam to press the button without shaking the camera, but they will have to do.

P2044971-1.jpg

P2065240-1.jpg

Here's a cropped version of the second one.

fryDay5.jpg

This photo is of Mr Moon when I first brought him home, he had the coolest eyes, like a crazy cartoon!

MrMoon1.jpg

The eye on the other side had a black stripe down the middle making it look reptilian.

And here is my new beagle proof (I hope) brine shrimp hatchery!

BeagleProof.jpg

I used the suction cup method of atatching the airline. It is soooo much better than trying to get a smooth silicone seal.

Just one quick note to add, Miss Piggy is fully recovered after less than a week. Her fins had melded back together within two days, and there is no sign of the damage at all today. There are two things that I think have helped, the use of rain water with IAL (seams to be better than treated tapwater and IAL), and feeding big fat mozzie wrigglers.

I think they did alright, there is somewhere between 20 and 30 that I have counted. I know there were more eggs than that, but not all hatched, dad kept moving them for a day, then they disapeared, so I guess he ate them. I like this number for jaring, and they won't need a bigger tank for a while either, so I'm happy. They are munching away on bbs now. It's cute to see there bellies turn orange as they gulp them down. I'll have to take new photo's soon, they have grown heaps in the last few days so should be a little easier to focus.

Sign in to follow this