Sign in to follow this  
Fergus

Metallic Green Lace HMPK F1 sibling spawn

I first attempted an F1 spawn between a Black Copper pair but when they refused to get it on again after making a snack of their first spawn of eggs, i took out the coppers and popped these 2 into the spawn tank and they were at it within 5 minutes! They had quite a few attempts at wrapping before they got the hang of it, but they have produced a small spawn of eggs. Maybe they would have continued but i spotted them eating eggs and decided a small spawn was better than no spawn.

381695997.jpg

381695985.jpg

All the eggs produced in the first spawn fungused after i removed the parents. So i put them back in together about 2 days later and the day before yesterday i spotted a clutch of eggs in the nest and fished out the female. This morning i checked the tank and couldn't see anything and figured he had eaten them again :) Then this afternoon i checked again to make sure i wasn't missing them and we have free swimming babies!!! I must have spotted the eggs just before they hatched - luckily there's plenty of plants and life in the tank! I fished out Dad and popped in some VE. As per usual i cannot tell how many are in there, but i spotted about 10 having a quick look. If you look hard you can see a couple of babies in the centre of this shot, and another to the right.

381931094.jpg

So....

Parents introduced 23-1-10

Spawned 23-1-10

Parents re-introduced 26-1-10

Eggs spotted & mum removed 28-1-10

Free Swimming Fry & dad removed 29-1-10

Tomorrow 30-1-10 is the full moon so i have another successful spawn just before full moon.

Edited by Fergus

Congratulations on the spawn Manda! The name Scarab Beetle is befitting and im sure they will produce pretty babies! I wonder who here has their own extended metallic/copper green lines? I would kill for those beauties ;p

Edit: WTB posts moved here. (Lisa)

Edited by Lilli

Thanks Lisa :) I will try to keep this up to date :)

Where are you located Jerry? There's at least 3 of us here breeding from Lisa's lines that i know of offhand, chances are something could be arranged.

Had another look. There's at least 30, more i think but the little buggers won't stay still and they move so damn quick - even at only 3mm long LOL

I bet there are heaps more than that! IME fish from this line are prolific breeders. If I recall correctly, I had over 200 offspring grow to adulthood from Blacksmith/Beetle.

Meanwhile, the rest of your (unseen) fry are doing this: :)

200! OMG *thud* I only got 35 from my spawn. Well there was 35 when i moved them at 4 weeks old anyway and they all grew out to adult. Was certainly more to begin with but the snails clean up any bodies almost before they hit the bottom of the tank!

These guys are cruising along nicely, now almost 2 weeks old. They are sneaky little buggers though, hanging out under the filter where i can't get a decent pick of them LOL They do have nice caudals developing and i can just see a little hump of the dorsal beginning to develop on the bigger fry. Largest would be around 6mm in length now. I have managed to count at least 20 at one time, which means there's at least double that in there LOL

382440876.jpg

200! OMG *thud* I only got 35 from my spawn. Well there was 35 when i moved them at 4 weeks old anyway and they all grew out to adult. Was certainly more to begin with but the snails clean up any bodies almost before they hit the bottom of the tank!

Looks like u have yourself some predatory snails! Now u know what happened to the other 165 ;p

The snails are far to slow to catch anything, except leftover grindals LOL I think Dad went snacking in the first spawn LOL

Sign in to follow this