Fergus

Brisbane Betta Gathering 2

hope you all have a great day tomorrow :D

and get what your after at the auctions cheaply so you can get lots more :lol:

I'll take my big expensive camera and take heaps of photo's. That way, if I'm behind the camera I won't be in any of them

lol that will only work if your the only one who brings a camra :lookaround:

Many thanks, will be there at 1'ish'.

If anyone has any cheap non-event plants they could sell me I'd be very grateful ... they're just to go in a cruddy old 50 litre filtered & airstone tank full of nothing but growing substrate, plants & water that I'm going to be using as top-up water for my betta tanks. Cheers, Di

My Sydney thing tomorrow just fell through due to my friend's illness, so I am more disappointed than ever not to be able to make it to meet you guys. I really hope (know) you will have a great time!

OMG it was an awesome meeting! Lots of networking, chatting, gorgeous fish (THANKS Peta and Julia for my fish!!!) and the Auctions....what can I say but WOW!!

I wish I could have stayed longer at the auctions and had more money to spend.

Here's a photo of a tank and driftwood I got there (just a webcam photo, sorry). Tank was $8 and driftwood was $3. It's housing cherry red shrimp (crs) at the moment that I got at the auctions also, 20 for $20.

Picture10.jpg

I also got a bag of duckweed with 'accidental' crs for $4 lol. I only got it for the crs but then later bought a bag of 20! oops. So I'll take the duck weed down to Grafton with me for Manda's golfishies to eat.

Julia gave me a bag of lovely guppy's that are now enjoying the current in my 3.4ft tank and Peta gave me 3 of her Black Dragon PK spawn (1M 2F)

I'll get around to taking photo's a little later and post them.

Sorry to those who wanted photo's of the day, I left my camera in the car the whole time so I didn't get any...and to my knowledge no-one else was snapping photo's.

Thanks to everyone for a great day. It was nice to meet you. Especially want to thank Cassi for the starter cultures, Peta for the lovely pair and Di for giving me a ride.

Will look forward to the next meeting!

ps Did anyone stay until the end of the auctions?

ps Did anyone stay until the end of the auctions?

Waves to all, it was great meeting you! Thank you so much for the fishy food & moss - already tied to rocks & in the "water treatment plant" aquarium (going to use for my top-up water once this one cycles properly, shakes head in self-disgust for not having a clue about cycling).

I saw someone today & she said she didn't get to bed until 4.30am - I didn't believe the boys when they said auctions go through until about 2.30am ... they sure need to streamline a few things if that's the case the poor, dedicated little cherubs.

sounds like you all had a good time

Sorry to those who wanted photo's of the day, I left my camera in the car the whole time

not to worry guess it will teach me for not getting there

haha I gave in at 1am - Amber (Kandee) and Daren (Darenkj) where still there when I left... but not sure if Daren was still awake or not! :lol:

next time I go to an auction someone please stop from buying random 'odd' things.... WHY I brought a HUGE water lillie is still perplexing to me.... and the two bag's of shrimp... didn't really think that one through very well!! HAHA

Thanks everyone who took home one of my babies - hope they all settle in really well. I managed to come home without ANY of them! (Gave the last few to a random couple at the Auction when I was leaving as they had brought two betta's during the auction and I thought they might like some extras hehe)

I swear last night I had dreams about albino/orange spot/peppermint/common/long fined/short fined bristlenose's.... ohh no wait that wasn't a dream.... omg those things where NUTS at the auction.

The highlight though - other then meeting and catching up with everyone - had to be the BAT! Some poor Bat flew into the auditorium towards the end of the night and got 'stuck' for awhile doing laps of the place.... we all applauded when he finally found his way back out!

The auctions where very interesting. Telling by the auctioneers reactions there was a lot of stuff going EXTREMELY cheap and they where surprised when things didn't sell and had to be passed in. Was also surprised there wasn't any guppies until right at the end - and then they where just 'mixed' bags of males / females - no fancy types ... and as far as I know there was only the 3 Betta's and they sold for a pittance ($7 for a Turquoise HM boy!) - makes you wonder if they had of been placed earlier in the night if they would have sold for more...

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

Ok I got my act together and took some photos of my haul from the day :lol:

Piece of driftwood $3 (some similar sized pieces went for $2 ea later on)

DSCF2815.jpg

Better photo of the tank with the driftwood inside

DSCF2809.jpg

Cherry Red Shrimp

DSCF2814.jpg

Female #1 named Misato Black Dragon PK - from Peta's spawn (THANKS AGAIN PETA!)

DSCF2818.jpg

Female #2 - Ritsuko

DSCF2825.jpg

More to come....

I like your shrimp tank Cassi! I'm quite happy your camera stayed in the car, but it's nice to see your purchase photos.

I can't believe you managed to stay till 1am Peta, guess you'll just have to put that big tank into action now you have the water lily. Thank you for the fishies, they are doing great. It's funny though, the black girl, Amy, was red this morning! She is beautiful, so I am happy.

As for those who stayed later, what else did you buy? Did any white worms get put up? How about corydoras?

My girl got a new fish at Jodie's, a stunning crowntail I am falling for, I'd forgot how frisky they are. (He's called 'Mr Frilly' a name Jody used to describe him and it stuck) We had to pull out fairly early in the evening, the auctions were not entertaining enough for my little girl. Still we got a few little bargains, and had a nice time. My girl bought a $4 bag of duckweed with shrimp, and was enthralled to find she had eight when we released them into the tank. I bought a few plants, floating types for the fry tanks.

Was great to see so many new faces, and lovely to catch up with everyone else, I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Yay now I can post more photos!

Male - Kaji (from a few different angles..can you tell I love him to pieces?!)

DSCF2824.jpg

DSCF2853.jpg

DSCF2850.jpg

DSCF2842.jpg

I tried to get a photo of the guppy's but they're just too fast and I don't have a light over the 3.4ft tank at the moment.

Anyhoo.

There we go!

glad to see he isn't sulking!!! Haha! He is a stunner!

Julie - crap I really should have marked the black ones! Guess the reds kind of washed out so with the black ribbing they where mistaken for blacks.... *doh* Maybe though she'd be a good match then for Red?! - and who knows could get throw back blacks as they do have the black gene from their parents...

Wow you sound like you had a great time. I'm still busy unpacking, I'm hoping its all done by the next meet. I'm really kicking myself for not going .

I stayed to the end! 2:30/3:00 AM it ended. Wow. Can't believe it.

I ended up with 42 new fish (Two died.. *sadface*)

I GOT... 4 Female bettas from Peta. 2 "Female" bettas from Cassi and a Male which Glen named "Fry". (Thanks guys SO much! The females are getting along in their sorority FAMOUSLY!)

ALSO. 2 bags of 10 Leopard Corydoras for $30 each, a bag of 4 Panda Corydoras that one of the sellers couldn't sell and came up to me and offered to me for cheaper... $20. AND another bag of Cories... 4 "Peppered" I think?? Not sure. they're gorgeous though. For like... $17. So if anyone wants some Cories... I have plenty! (Kinda stocked up incase anyone wanted some and missed out in a way. Or I'll breed them :()

I also bought 4 Apistogramma Agassizi BUT one died overnight (Had to keep them in an 8L bucket overnight seeing as I got home so late and had an air pump line with an air stone in there and my 25W heater) ... No idea why he died. Stress? THEN the next day I accidentally left the lid off when I went to get stuff for the cultures and one jumped out and committed suicide. So I have two who are rather shy at the moment. Need to get 2 more females I think. :fish:

Oh yeah and I got 3 bristlenoses... Coz they were so damn popular. :P Thought I'd like some. And a tonne of driftwood and plants. :D

The highlight of the night was DEFINITELY the freaking BAT!!! Gosh that was hilarious. The guy that was buying up all the breeding pairs of Bristlenoses and Plecos (I swear he had spend like $900 or something) got swooped by it just before it exited.. It was one of those moments. Seriously magical. :P

Needless to say I need to move some of those leopard corydoras out of the sorority tank.. Lol. A 90L tank with 20 Small Cories and 6 Female Bettas... Not sure if it's overstocked or not?

Neptune (My Turquoise VT boy) is sharing accommodation with 4 Panda Cories, 4 "Peppered" Cories, 2 large Albino Cories, 6 Harlequin Rasboras and 3 BN Catfish. :P

My brother has a tank for his 5 Cherry Red Shrimp (Which have already shed!) that he bought from someone's shop that has a filter and volcanic rock with Java fern pups and java moss in it. It looks AMAZING.

I will have pics when I can!

Hey Amber did you end up getting that round drift wood piece that we where both waiting for?? I gave up and just couldn't be bothered waiting any longer (that and the fact that the boy showed up out of the blue - I guess he got tired waiting for me to ring and say i wanted to be picked up!)

Its so sad in the spare room now - there is a wall of empty bennie boxes and no fish in there :fish: I evicted the last baby from the grow out tank yesterday - and the shrimps have now made it their home.

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

Yeah it came up... I could NOT be bothered to buy it.. It went for like $20....

It was massive. Way too big for my tank.

I'd like to add that I'm planning on getting some Barracks set up. =] Anyone that can help please message me?

Edited by Kandee

It was an interesting auction for sure!!!

Great to meet everyone again...too bad I couldn't join up with you all any earlier that day...looks like I've missed out on meeting some new faces.

A big thank you to Peta for the guppies...they are doing very well at the moment in their new home.

Yes, I was nearly falling asleep towards the end.

The bat kinda woke me up, and the glimpse of the gorgeous shells kept me interested for a while.

Too bad they weren't auctioning anything that I'm really after.

$30 for 10 Leopard (Juliis?) corys is a great deal Amber.

Did you get that right at the end?

Regards,

Daren.

Hehe. Yeah I got them right at the end and now today I met the guy who I bought them off without even knowing... He just mentioned he sold two bags of leopard cories at the auction and I was like "THAT WAS ME!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" Hahaha.

I can't wait for the next one!

And if I see any pretty shells around Darren, I'll grab em for you if I have the cash. :confused: I know how disappointed you were. :dontknow:

Can't wait till I get guppies! Hehehe.