Bn have laid eggs?

Lyarlla

Thanks! How are yours doing? My dad seems to have abandoned his, they still have a 1mm bit of yolk sac left and they're all out of the cave on their own! Is your dad still keeping them in the cave and being protective?

Edited by Fighters4U

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad is frantically still trying to guard and shoo escaped fry back in :giggle: Mum is near the front of the cave again. Round 2 already??? I counted about 25+ babies out of the cave though. Cant believe there are so many on their first spawn! How many babies do they have when they get bigger then??? :o

Edited by Lyarlla

50 or 60 depending on their size and maturity maybe even more!

With my longfin albinos I've counted 19 so far and who knows how many calico's - they've escaped the log and scattered amongst plants so will never know how many of them are there!

Glad you found yours Cassi - apologies to peppermint boy!

Sounds like 'mum' is waiting for the nest to empty again - and looks like Lyarlla is going shopping for a new bn fry tank in the morning!!!

Edited by fishbites

hahaha, noooo!! LOL. I've just made another tank clear for my bluegrass guppies!!. Im trying to downscale! Actually I lost my second imported bluegrass guppy female today! She'd just had her second batch of fry since I got her and she was so weak afterwards. Have lost no other fish in the tank. Parameters came back ok except nitrates at 35, and ammonia was up really really slightly. Last time that happened I lost the last female. They must be supersensitive! :giggle:

How many tanks have you got Wayne and where do you manage to keep them all??

Edited by Lyarlla

Shame to hear about your guppy - bluegrass are very nice - better than my mutts

(I lost a female last night - must have died in childbirth I think because she was so heavy with fry). For some strange reason her tank seems to only have young females - not sure if the male in there has wiped out his competition and only left girls or what has happened!

I've got a 1500litre fish pond beside the shed with goldfish/rosy barbs and half a dozen bettas hiding under lily leaves, a 4ft tank inside with african cichlids and a bank of 15 x 100l tanks in the shed with a mixture of cichlids and catfish, 3 x 2ft tanks with apistos and catfish and betta girls, a 6ft low profile tank with betta males and catfish, a 6ft (1000litre) tank in the shed yet to be set up plus a broken 5ft (500litre) tank yet to be fixed in the shed plus a 3ft betta barracks and about 10 x 10 litre tanks for individual bettas and a 3ft tank I haven't finished making yet plus a pile of glass that will turn into tanks one day when I get time. The good bettas are in the house.

These are the tanks in the shed - all run by air powered sponge filters (the air pump is the little box on top of the rack on the left).

Image012.jpg

I seriously don't know how this happened - I only bought a 4ft tank to have a nice display of fish ... then I found this forum and got hooked again on bettas so had to have more tanks.... I think my evil twin is responsible for the rest!

The kids are growing rapidly and are being provided with unending zucchini. Its a bit of a feast really, they are all swarming over it. They seem not to like broccoli as much (but the snails do!) nor lettuce. Will try cucumber and sweet potato next. :welcome: Dad has been trying to clear out any babies from the log without much success. I think he wants more.

LOL... no one to control my MTS at all Lyarlla!!!! Maybe why I'm out of control!

Great to hear your babies are doing well... mine look like a shimmering mass on the floor of the tank all scooting round for food etc... I have a carrot in with mine at the moment (natural colouring agent might turn them more orange!) and have a few snow peas for them as well as the zuchinni.

My males are keeping the entrance to the log blocked and chasing the females away - will have to check with a torch incase they have eggs again! Last time the calico's bred they went back to back so yours might be doing the same thing.