So sad...

Fergus

Just thought i'd come and have a whinge.... I got this guy from Lisa and Abbey and i think he is TSTB *cries*

100409betta_GD040.jpg

I got a trio and the 4 times i have tried to pair them he has just beaten the crap out of the female *lol*

Not having a good run here at all...

my Purple Jaffa Halfmoon = TSTB,

my Copper HM Female = dead - somehow squeezed out a 5mm gap in the lid of her tank and commited sideways,

my Armageddon HM pair = dead - she from unknown causes, he from dropsy, and before they produced any fry too *cries* he was TSTB also.

and, i tried putting a pair from my first spawn together lovely boy and girl both VT/HM crosses but with 4-ray branching - she killed him in less than 30 minutes - vicious little cow.

On the up side Edward and Bella's fry (Callalilli Metallic Black Lace PK) are growing up beautifully, i have some showing strong green irid, and some that have thrown back to the copper of their grandfather. None have thick enough scaling that i would call dragon but they are still very pretty little fish, i'll try to get some decent pics later :)

I guess i'll need to rebuild my stud stock now that i have had some deaths.... i hate losing nice fish.

Can the rest of us join you in that whinge session? I feel some of your pain.

I've been trying to get any pair of betta to spawn since October. After multiple failures, I now only have one useable male as the other male is quarantined with lymphocystis virus. I set up the useable male with his intended partner yesterday and things looked promising this morning when they were trying to couple under his bubblenest. Her belly was swollen with eggs this morning. I got back from a nice day at the beach, and I find that she is no longer swollen with eggs....but he is!!!!! The :) ate them all.

I might give them another go next week.... but I know what you mean by TSTB!!! When will I get these stoooopid fish to breed properly??????????

ps: some pics as I wasn't able to put them in a spawn log

SPAWN TANK

M4H006532.jpg

THE ?HAPPY? COUPLE

M4H006531.jpg

EARLY/PRACTICE RUN - HE COULDN'T QUITE GET HER IN THE RIGHT POZZI

M4H006533.jpg

HER BELLY- FULL OF EGGS

M4H006534.jpg

Thanks for accepting my whinge... At least we both know how frustrating it can get! Maybe we should turn this into a group whinge forum. Vent your anger and frustration when things go sour.

Although he's handsome, he might just be a "him-bo" (male version of bimbo for those unfamiliar with the term) and not have the brains to do what's required of him.

Oh, and from what I've read, LYMPHOCYSTIS is a virus (so no treatment available) that causes wart like growths on fish. Mostly on fins but can occur anywhere on fish (including internally). Can make your fish very unwell/lethal, but mostly just causes growths. The growths can be quite unpleasant looking and can even erode away the tissue leaving a big sore. Once the sores develop the disease is contagious and the other fish in the tank need to be removed as the virus is now floating around in the water. Luckily the boy in question developed this illness after mating with the female I had for him (so already separated) and so far no signs of illness in the girl.

I have a nice male CT who's TSTB too.... put a nice little girl in with him (at least I thought she was nice) only to find him getting beaten up by her because he wouldn't show interest - had to separate them to save the fool!

that virus sounds nasty Paul - hope your fish pulls through.

Sorry to hijack your forum Fergus, hope you don;t mind...

Yeah he's OK, but I doubt that he'll ever be cured (or experience the company of another fish)! He looked like he was gunna pack it in when he was at his worst, but he's getting better. It started on his pectoral fin and nearly destroyed that, but that's almost completely healed. Looked like he was getting dropsy with it (swollen tummy, puffy scales) and he got over that too. He's eating normally now, except occasionally it looks a bit painful eating live adult brine shrimp, and he's just got a big growth on his cheek.

M4H006632.jpgM4H006633.jpg

Hi Paul,

I have a green dragon female who has a white growth on her side that looks very similar. It is growing in size every week and seems to be "bursting" through the scales. I've been told its something dragons often get but Im not sure. Are we able to "operate" on these things does anyone know?

• 1 month later...