New Tank

Em

Yesterday we went and picked up my new tank, it's massive and it's definately not going anywhere in a hurry.

4142563581_08ef5cd199_o.jpg

4142563583_59175c3b8b_o.jpg

The stand itself is just over 3 foot high and the tank is 2 foot... my eye level is right where the glass top sits. We spent a good few hours scraping the blue paint off the back and one side of it, the last side I can do in my own time... I'm just slightly annoyed that the foam underlay stuff it's about 10cms short on one end... I'll update with more pictures when I get it cleaned, filled and the oscar trio in it.

I'm planning on getting one of those 2 or 3 step little step ladders to clean it out, plus a really long hose on the gravel vac. I keep looking at it and thinking 'Is it too big?' but I know there's no such thing

Forget the ladder to help reach the bottom... just get some scuba gear Em!!!!

I have a big tank like yours - still haven't had the time to clean it up and get it on its stand (weighs a ton) but like you am pretty hopeful that it won't ever have to be moved again!

Your oscars will love a home that size too and they won't ever think its too big! You could probably have a nice big pleco to clean up after them too!

The stand that the tank is resting on has a metal frame supporting the wood, the guy who owned it previously (and had the tank for well over 15 years) made the stand especially for the tank. At the moment my 3 foot + eel are kind of in the middle of the room until we get my 'small' 6 ft moved over to my mum's, once it's moved I'll take some shots of the supports... the foam thing is still annoying the heck out of me, but it took two strong men to lift the darn thing onto the stand so looks like I'll have to cut some off and somehow wedge it under the end

Re the foam If you go to your local rubber store you can pick up rolls of foam fairly cheep i got 1 roll and it was enough for a 3ft 2ft and 6 other random sized tanks and still had leftovers cant rember exact price but i wouldnt have spent more then $15

ETA you could go to a carpet store and ask them for some carpet they may have pulled out of old houses i used to get rolls from our local carpet store to put on the ramp of the horse float

Edited by Rainy

Somewhere like The Warehouse has those foam mats for yoga and pilates, I use them.

BTW I am having trouble visualising how big it is - any chance we could get a photo with something in it for context? Like a lamp or a book or um, a toaster? Not with water in it, obviously! :)

Just took these pictures... on the top is a 1L measuring jug and on the other side and inside are beanie boxes (hopefully you can make out the beanie boxes). Wasn't game to put the toaster in there :)

4159943590_cd23d08fb8_o.jpg

4159943586_6c5a5cc373_o.jpg

Hope it helps you visualise Lilli

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned out the bit of old gravel, washed in the inside and put 50 kgs of 'hunter' gravel into there, it's covered the bottom but only about 5cms so got a bag of 'coffs' gravel which is getting washed tomorrow and added. Going to try to fill it up tomorrow and get a few smaller filters in there for now, with the size of the tank I'm thinking about making my own sump instead of running several filters. Any advice?

More pics tomorrow!

4192072110_2a22e8531e_o.jpg

Tank has gravel and is full, got a nice sized rock (that's been in assorted aquariums for over 20 years) and are still trying to work out where to get the best 'driftwood' from. Unfortuantely Lyarlla I think the oscars would make very short work of Java fern or any other plants I added

Ah true true!!

Maybe some really branch drift wood to one side and some interesting rocks? Your could always go an old rusty anchor, some ship rope (with weed attached) and some old barnacle covered bottles for an under the sea appearance :D