whiptails

najrick

I fell in love with these guys when I saw them for the first time at Bob and Linda's house when we went and visited them with someone a couple of months ago. I always thought they were going to be out of my price range as the LFS here charge an arm and a leg for them. But as it turned out a local guy here in Gladstone breeds them and was more than happy to do a swap with some Bettas. He also gave us a bag of Albino Coreys and boy are they active.

If anyone can give me any helpful advice on whiptails I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Najina

Posted Image

These grow huge!!! As Jess will tell you, on our recent outings to many aquariums, they had a massive one in a maybe 6? 7? 8? ft tank. Jess.. where are you? Subscape remember? In tank with wild angels? I think Jess managed to get a picture of it.

According to my old "Illustrated Guide to Aquarium Fishes" the whiptail catfish can grow upto 130mm/5.25 inches. Temps about 24 and diet is mainly vegetable matter. This is probably WAY outdated but it's some information at least :)

I have had a few before but they didnt seem to last long. I think my problem was that my tank wasnt old enough to develop alot of algae etc that they eat and they possibly starved. Perhaps they might like some algae disks?

These grow huge!!!

As Jess will tell you, on our recent outings to many aquariums, they had a massive one in a maybe 6? 7? 8? ft tank. Jess.. where are you? Subscape remember? In tank with wild angels?

I think Jess managed to get a picture of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep it was at the place where Dean's Killis were.

They had MASSIVE whiptails there, the pics are on Emilee's camera :) So I have to wait a while.

I ordered a whiptail in last year, but it had major fin damage from shipping so lucky I didn't buy it. I jsut haven't been able to afford one since :) I have plecos on my list next ;)

Thanks for all your help and links everyone. And yes mouse they could be a Sturisoma festivum or the other one they could be is Sturisoma Araguaia. I will just have to wait to see how they grow. At the moment they are being feed spirulina and zucchini. They are about 4 inches in body length (not including the whip). I think I have a male and female as one has a broader head, but will not know for sure until the boy gets his whiskers. If they dont turn into a pair the guy I got them from is more than happy to swap one when they get older. Najina

Guest Mrsgrump

Najina give them plenty of worms as well as the Zucchini and Algae Discs and they will do well for you. I had an old Royal "Bruce" who lived on the show circut for years and always accounted for himself well. He was a great fish but sadly he passed on at Christmas. He was about 8 years old though. Linda

Archived