Baby Guppies

Neffy

Hi there

I picked up my first ever guppies at the melb betta gathering they where labled as GREEN .. LOL and the girl was already preggers she dropped 8 babbies but 2 where dead when i actually realised :D so the bubs are in there own tank now and they only seem to be eating crushed to a powder flakes (brand is Bettamin LOL) i tried bbs and microworm as well but they didnt take any interest in them (at least i never saw them eat them but those foods are tiny as).

What other foods can i feed them should i try bbs again ?

Ive got about 15 or so of the "bluegrass" guppies (mum looks black, dad looks red but im assured they are from bluegrass background)

and the hi-fin black girl is huge! she will burst tonight im guessing :D

I am feeding flakes that i crush between my fingers to make them sort of powdery, but not too small. i have cbn underneath so they will eat whatever drops uneaten from them.

good luck with them and enjoy ;)

I wish, I only had a few babies I took my adult guppies back to the store as I have a 2ft tank full of baby guppies, all mine were getting were the flakes the adults were eating only crushed a little smaller between my fingers and left over blood worms that the adults missed, but now they are getting microworms, vinegar eels and popcorn BBS compliments of Rainy. :D

guppies dont really need live foods.

Lyarlla is quite correct with that statement. I very rarely feed mine live food. Your guppies do need a varied diet though to ensure they don't miss out on any minerals and trace elements etc that are required for their healthy survival. Mine eat various flake, micro-pellets, fd black worm, fd artemia and also frozen foods like bs etc. They will eat almost any aquarium foods that that they can swallow if they are hungry enough. Also bear in mind that if your intention is for a rapid breeding cycle you will have to feed live food regularly to obtain faster growth rates. It would seem that nothing promotes faster growth than live food.....

BTW Neffy, though many of us do have grow-out (grow-up?) tanks for our guppy fry it is worth mentioning that it's only really required for selection/observation purposes as the fry will grow up happily beside their parents without any risk of being eaten.

Cheers, -Brad. :D;) ;)

Edited by Brad

• 4 weeks later...

If you have plenty of plants in the tank the babies will eat the microfauna (infusoria) that inhabit them. All established planted tanks have a ready made live food supply for fry. Watch your babies closely and you will notice that they are picking at the plants.

I once had a tank with betta fry that I did not realize had survived (most of the eggs didn't mature) I thought the tank was empty so I left the filter running to keep it prepared while I re conditioned the adults. Just as I was about to add the male to the spawning tank I noticed three fry swimming around. They had survived for nearly three weeks by feeding off the infusoria that was on the plants without additional food added.

• 11 years later...