Endler Experimentation

hobbygodz

Quoting JUNGLE:

I have been working on Endler crosses for three years now.

My latest batch are exceptional.

They are densely white,[females too] with a snakeskin pattern in metallic,fluorescent magenta.

This gives them a 'glow in the dark' appearance with almost X-ray skeletons.

Hard to describe how bright they look.

Never seen anything like them and they are really gorgeous little animals.

Clearly perky,Endler like fish.

Soon I will be clearing some culls.

They all contain the above genes plus Albino,Gold,Colour on head and gills and also colour on pectorals.

As I said,it took three years of breeding to get this unique combination.

Every batch of fry has fish that make me wish I had more tanks.

Click here to see a pic of my original Gold Endler strain

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8943&hl=

I love the size and behaviour of the Endlers and have always had an interest in genetics.

The gold appeared as a single female in a batch of fry.

The gold gene removes black so made me wonder what an albino cross would produce.

Having pure white [platinum] has given me fish that I can print different patterns on.

I also have some snakeskin endler crosses where the spots have formed bars on the caudal peduncle [tiger].

Others have enlarged spots giving the impression of Polka Dots.

Very exciting to me.......so much potential.

My poor friends with spare tanks are being 'forced' to look after other potentially interesting groups.

Within a year,I expect to have some quite unique guppies.

---

Hi Anthony, how's about a pic of your blonde snakeskins? They sound pretty awesome -Brad. *lol* *lol*

Edited by killimike

Hi Brad....nice to hear from you mate.

They are boarding at a mates house at Point Piper.[only the best for this lot].

Moving house will take a few weeks but will get some pics up asap.

The White Snakeskins are making a few of my mates take a new view of guppies.

Yuppie guppies?........ It seems you are doing some nice work with your endler crossings, (though some endler nazis would like to take out a contract on you for your efforts no doubt!). But hey, your fish, your hobby and our collective gain if/when you produce a stable line of an attractive fish. I do believe endlers would likely be hybridized in the wild to some degree anyway, if indeed they do survive in any healthy numbers in that rapidly degrading environ. There will always be endlers, (thanks to the honourable purists). Endlers are a hardy lot when compared to a lot of the "glamour guppies" we now see at the LFS. For this reason alone a degree of cross-breeding with endlers should not be regarded as incorrect. I should imagine that I will now be regarded as a collaborator.............Brad. *lol*

Haha......Purists....I couldn't agree more.

As you said,there will always be peeps who keep the pure lines going.

Collaborator......thanks mate....I will take full blame.

That made me Laugh Out Loud!!

Thank God the Asian geniuses ignore all that rubbish.

We can thank them for many of the beautiful Discus,Livebearers and other Bread and Butter fish that adorn our tanks.

Asians seem to be born with eyes that can detect beauty in flowers and fish.

They also have the determination to follow their instincts and produce masses of new Orchids as well.

What a wonderful world we live in!

I love creative work with strains, crosses, developing new forms etc. I also like your work in particular JUNGLE *lol*

My only concern is that we remember that 'purists', not to use that term pejoratively, are needed to keep the original forms going so that we have them for as long as possible. I would like to say 'so that we always have them', but always is a long time. Creative genetics is absolutely essential, and I'm all for it, but there's a place for wild types too, and the people who are fierce about preserving them *lol*

That said, I want gold endlers! *lol*

Hey Mike....nice to hear from YOU too mate.

I am glad the 'purists' work hard to maintain the original genetic stock as well.

Their work allows me to freely dabble with my experiments without guilt.

My concern is that,in their efforts,some forget that even in nature,mutants pop up.

This is how evolution occurs.

Of course,an albino mutation becomes an instant target for predation in nature.

If a breeder attempts to maintain a line of original fish,he must avoid the temptation to select the 'best looking' fish for breeding.

Otherwise,over just a few generations,his stock are in danger of becoming inbred.

In this case,his efforts are wasted.

An example of this came up on another forum recently.

Someone placed a group of Rainbows in a pond and allowed them to breed freely for a few years.

He kept watch on the pond and regularly removed any fish that did not fit his profile of 'original'.

In my view,HE had become the predator and was removing genes from the natural 'pool'.

And Mike,as soon as I have moved,you are more than welcome to take your pick of my fish,as always. :D

Love your work matey.

All the best,Anthony.

Edited by JUNGLE

A worthy rejoinder, my good man.

We do become the environmental pressures, even more subtly than in your eg sometimes. So the idea of a pure wild population in captivity really is a biological fiction, technically. But we can still pretend we've got it near enough :D Keep selecting those albinos!

Betta people getting together in Chifley tmw . . . are you game??

PS Very sorry for the hijacking! But these discussions are relevant, if somewhat tangentially, to getting specific types of Poecilia spp. in Sydney :)

Anthony, you know we love hearing from you! No need to apologise - this is quality stuff. It will just tend to get lost in Classifieds once it moves down the thread list.

So, to Mr Killimike: A Challenge! Let's see you split this topic, sir! :D