cherry shrimp

foxtail

Hello All

I recently got my 1st cherry shrimps and they have tiny(about 1mm) white wiggly things around them. Would i be right in assuming they are babies?

Just wanted to check cos they don't look anything like shrimp, and if they aren't than what are they?

Aaron

I would have to say they could be a parasite of some sorts i would be able to give you a more detailed answer if you could get a photo of them. Cherry shrimp females carry the eggs underneath there tail and are protected by a sheath and when they hatch they are a exact replica of there parents just smaller.

HTH , Connor

Ok after some initial research and help from you nice forum people i have come to an early conclusion that they are Daphnia pullex.

They are a tiny flea like crustaion that people breed for fry food. I am going to do more research to confirm this so keep the ideas coming if you think it could be something else.

Has anyone had these before and can they course any harm to fish(from my research i dont think they do apart from overfeeding coursing digestive problems)

Thanx Aaron

Also they crawl all over the bottom of the tank. I think crawling is a better description of them than wiggling.

Edited by foxtail

Do the cherry shrimp eat them at all?

If not the culture would be good for when you get any betta fry - if you get too many of them perhaps you could strain them and freeze them like leftover bbs.... (not sure if that would work but I've bought frozen daphnia before)