Hydroponic Plants

Hi I have a hydro set up sitting around and I was wondering if anyone has used one to grow plants for the aquarium before. I am keen to grow some anubis or swords or really just about anything that will grow :-). My set up is a flood and drain type set up and it is all on timers and the flood intervals i can adjust for what ever period I want. I have a 1000w bulb in it not sure what k it is. If anyone has tried this sort of thing before but any ideas would be great. Cheers

Some aquarium plants are actually bog plants or grow at the edges of streams etc so could work well in that setup. Might need to watch how much humidity is above the water though as some plants will only do well in very high humidity and some only if a constant mist is around them. You might find some will show a different growth habit above water and can take time to adapt to submerged growth later on. Worth a try though if you have the gear there to experiment with. I wouldn't leave any aquatic plants without water though in warmer weather. I had a java fern almost go crisp because I left it out of the tank for about an hour the other night when I was cleaning the tank. It recovered but I don't think it would have lasted much longer.

My set up is a fully internal one and the whole spare bedroom that it is set up in is light proof and has an external fan that i did not normaly turn on in the past and when i have had it going in the past the room is very humid. The light ballast get's quite warm and in the past i typically had the big grow light going for 18hrs a day. The sump holds 60lts of water in it also so with the water pumping for 10 min every 1 hr there is alot of moisture in the air. And yes i know i know just fill it with dope more money :-)

The only trouble with the Tent/Glass cover is that i worry about the lack of oxygen(air movement in hydro is very very important) getting to the plants and also the plants will not get the full hit from the light. But i might look at this with an old tank and a plant great idea

Edited by odog123

All good...questions are what Forums are all about.

Have a look here :)

EDIT, Hmmm, that link didn't quite work as I wanted. Scroll thru the Species List menu on the right until you find "Hemianthus callitrichoides" (correct spelling this time, lol). You might even find a few more plants that can grow either hydro or emersed...

Edited by Ghengis

Cool cheers i had a bit of a google and i found it. :-) my hydro base is made up of little clay balls so i think it maybe a little hard for it to grow. But from what i seen on the yanks page's they seem to grow it in plastic tub's with about 5cm of potting type mix in and just leave it in the sun and just put a mist of water over it every few days. Might also give that a go lol i will try anything once. But i did go to my LFS and the guy that ownes it is a bit of a legend fish/plant guy and he had a set up at his house and he showed me pic's of it and it is nilly the same as mine just a lot smaller then mine and he gave me a few tip's and also told me what plants to try, so after i purchased just about every plant in his shop lol i now have my set up going WOO HOO!!!!! I am just going to try a few different things. But if anyone thinks i should try something please post it because i would love to give any type of plant a go and see what happens.

And **** that web site is full on :-D

Edited by odog123