220l pond- which filter?

jamal

so, i am wondering which type of filter would best suit a really small (220l) pond.

also, i am planning to place mesh over the top to reduce the amount of debris entering the pond.

Does anyone think that the mesh would make a difference to the type of filter i need?

thanks, japelno

You could always make a simple bucket filter to sit behind some plants or at the side of your pond - for 220litres it wouldn't need to be a large filter - use your pump to pump water up into the top and let it flow down through the bucket full of filter media and then feed back to the pond via a hose/pipe coming out the bottom of the bucket.

I have a pre-filter sponge on the pump to stop leaves and other stuff going up into the bucket - dead leaves that blow into the pond settle on the bottom and add to the ecosystem - water is always crystal clear though.

I have some mesh over the top of the pond but only to stop blue cranes from eating my fish (like they did to the first fish I put in there). The mesh doesn't stop many leaves as its a big size mesh. If you had a finer mesh it would stop a lot of leaves but detract from your viewing of the pond especially if leaves build up on it at any time.

I have a pond only slightly larger and I use one of these:

http://www.pondsupplies.com.au/pondshop/po...1-pr-16251.html

with one of these:

http://www.pondsupplies.com.au/pondshop/bl...ters-c-293.html

(I can't remember exactly which one I chose)

Works pretty well for me, only clean it about once every 3 months or so, and I have about 6 goldfish, some danios and some bristlenoses in there.

Marianne,

That sponge filter you linked to is exactly the same as I use for a pre-filter on my pump. I think my pump is about 3000l/hr to compensate for the resistance of the sponge which is great at filtering out leaves and other muck.

In the back of this photo you can see my bucket filter - really cheap and easy to make. I think all up it cost about $30 for the bucket, some old bioballs, and some piping I had in the shed.

IMGP2728.jpg