Four Foot Tank

ninoid12

I have just bought my first "big" tank! :dontknow:

Im used to 1-2ft tanks. And now i have a big one for community fish and display in my living room :)

Here it is today. I have washed it and disinfected it. It came with a raw pine stand and hood, and foam. Only $100, with a spare 2.5ft tank too! (no lids though)

I got a stain from bunnings and did three layers a few days ago when it was sunny. Aired it for a wk in my shed.

I plan to add photos here as it progresses. Lets see how well i design this lol. Im not too good at it. lol

I plan to have greengrass guppies and green swordtails in it. And some other stuff too, not quite sure exactly what yet though....

And i have a good collection of crypts of various types. And some very nice swords. I love the three melon swords i got off ebay. Very nice! and a massive amazon sword too. :)

oh, and i have red gravel. I find it nicer than the white stuff. And i thought about sand but decided against it. Also liked the idea of black but worried about it affecting the water if i got the wrong gravel.

ANYHOW, enjoy the following photos... (when they come anyhow lol)

Image132-1.jpg

Edited by ninoid12

oh it is CERTAINLY cold!!!! I love that heater!

and no, it suprisingly does not affect the barracks above it as much as you'd think. One degree. And i think thats pretty safe (?).

Im nervous i will stuff up. Trying to research as much as possible before setting up any further.

Oh, i just bought an aqua one internal filter. 2000 l/m. Adjustable pressure though. :dontknow:

2000l/m will blow a few scales off your fish! :dontknow:

Seriously though 2000l/h will be fairly strong in a 4ft tank - if it is though you can damped it down with the controls or make up a spray bar out of poly pipe with holes drilled in it like I did with my 1600l/h internal and now it gives good all over water movement but the fish don't have to constantly swim against the current. Let me know if you want pics or details of what I did with mine.

Green swords and green guppies sound like a good thing to go with. Are you going to have your plants in pots or will you be doing the whole aquascape thing with driftwood and planted plants, etc?

Love It! You must have itchy fingers waiting to set that baby up!

Depending on the bio-load you are going to add to that tank, I wouldn't think that 2000lph is too much. But I keep dirty ole cichlids and Plecs! Not used to these dainty pretty fish. LOL!

But like "fishbites" said, you dont want it blowing your fish around the tank, a spray bar is always a good idea. Not only will it stop your fish thinking they need to be marathon swimmers, a spray bar will spread the load, you can adjust the diretion and let it kick up the waste and in turn collect it.

With all the plants you mentioned you were adding, I am sure it is going to look darn fantastic!

Dont be nervous! Just play! :dontknow:

The pressure is adjustable so im going to have it on low. Or make a spray bar.

Any chance you can put photos of that spray bar and design in the diy section? just in case i need to see :dontknow:

I have MAJORLY itchy fingers!

oh, the glass looks blotchy. It isnt. It wasnt 100% dry internally when i set it up for this pik. It was sunbaking (for the 2nd time) for awhile but i got impatient lol.

Wayne, it is totally still that cold down here. All week it's been 14/15 degrees max! You should've seen Nina & I fighting over poll position in front of the heater the other day!

Can't wait till you get this one going Nina. I want to say I could help you out with it, but it sounds like you've totally got it under control.

Beaut looking setup, am envious. The spray bar should solve the strong current problem. Tho must admit I also saw the heater first and couldnt believe its still required. Am currently sitting at my desk and its 35 outside. Just inside the W.A. border on monday it was 39 in the shade!

we had 35C Thursday of last week. On the Friday it rained, and cooled off. This week we have had hail and rain all week (including all long weekend) and I have had the heater on most nights. Not sure how cold it actually has been, but it's colder than it was in winter at night now when I am getting home from work - and it's an hour earlier due to daylight saving! It's perverse.

Any chance you can put photos of that spray bar and design in the diy section? just in case i need to see :lol:

I have to do a clean and water change today on the tank with the spray bar so will take it out and snap a pic or two for you later on.