Mystery Solved....Another mystery hatching!

fishbites

Yet again I find fry swimming round in one of my tanks... this time four of these were swimming round in my Cory Jullii tank - no other fish in there except the jullii's and only plants have been in there for about a month....

These little blokes are about 7-10mm long and have a yellowish colour to them.... They look longish and sleek sort of like a danio but I've never had any fish this shape before. They seem to swim around in the upper parts of the tank rarely going near the bottom at all.

Does anyone recognise the shape or what they could be?

IMGP2696.jpg

Edited by fishbites

Dean it looks a bit like one doesn't it? Trouble is... I haven't owned a lemon tetra for about 26 years! And the fish shop I got the plants from a month ago don't stock lemon tetras so would be survivors if they are... a month going from when the egg was laid to LFS then in a bag and staying in the boot of my car for 2 days and then into one of my tanks and hatches!

Mike I'm intrigued by it too! I've never had batches of fry occur like this before ... You're right though... whatever happens will have to grow them up a bit and see what they are ... they deserve it after all they've possibly been through...

I think most plants would have come from farms without fish in the growing ponds, hence picked up eggs in the LFS, but hard to say. I don't think plants are imported in ways that would allow fish eggs in.

Could well be a danio or tetra, doesn't look too much like a killi. But really I have no idea! See what they look like in a few more weeks :)

LOL @ Tracey.... lucky dip... buy a plant get some free fish!

That's part of the mystery Mike... the fish shop has no fish in their plant display... and I have no fish that look like those fry....

I did spot a few white spots on the glass of the tank they came from though... keeping the fingers crossed they are a few cory eggs that didn't get eaten...

The loaches dont seem to like my salt and kh levels in the tangalykan tanks (tend to die alot) but the snails just keep on coming, they disrupt breeding too. and the best thing iv found is to go in when the night lights are on and collect them all from the surface every night and feed them to the oscars. Thers nothing like the Snap, Crackle & Pop of a few Ramshorns. LOL

Edited by pilchard

Thats what you need! Trained oscars!

I have clowns in my Malawi cichlid tank... best thing I ever did for the ramshorns in there... none left now but then I don't use salt in my tank.... My cichlids bred pretty well despite the number of snails... still do .... just took 20 babies off a cobalt blue zeb tonight so she would start eating again (babies were about 12mm long - way overdue).

Have you tried a little bit of copper sulphate? I use a really weak solution to dip plants into just incase snails are on them.

Thats what you need! Trained oscars!

I have clowns in my Malawi cichlid tank... best thing I ever did for the ramshorns in there... none left now but then I don't use salt in my tank.... My cichlids bred pretty well despite the number of snails... still do .... just took 20 babies off a cobalt blue zeb tonight so she would start eating again (babies were about 12mm long - way overdue).

Have you tried a little bit of copper sulphate? I use a really weak solution to dip plants into just incase snails are on them.

Will try it.

• 2 weeks later...