Various New Fish

Phil

Hey guys,

Here are some pics of some of the new fish i just got, there are plenty more to photograph but i didnt get round to it tonight.

Gold BF SD from mick:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wild Marble HM (not interested in having his pic taken)

Posted Image

Red HM (one of the Najrick family)

Posted Image

My GORGEOUS green OHM (chewed tail)

Posted Image

Red Marble (chewed tail)

'>

Hopefully more pics to come soon :dontknow:

what a bummer the green went to town. I have no idea how to stop them chewing. The red/white arrived chewed, but Duen said that's how he was sent. Mind you, he has continued the party. The wild boy was a stunner, pity he is sulking. Mick's fish are always so fat!!! : P good luck breeding them. (nice pics too!)

Thanks Guys. He is still a strong OHM even with some of the tail missing, Chewers seem to be mainly the older fish with long fins, since none of the small ones did. Are you able to put a small piece of plant in with them to keep them occupied, or say they could bite that instead of themselves?

how about (controversy alert) bagging them with even less water? Given that they can breathe air, how much water do they need to be in? I heard once that when shipped from overseas it is done with minimal water for that reason - to reduce the risk of chewing, as they can't turn around etc. Is that true? How do they arrive from OS? Do we just bag them in as much water as we do here because it seems politically correct?

IMHO, the bag should be big with lots of water for them to move around. Smaller bags will just make them curl, hence they'll chew their tails. Basically...forcing them into curl position == u hit lotto with chewed tail Just my 2c :P

Robbie he is very similar, is yours all metallic aswell?

Here are some more pics i took thismorning. I found to get the sulking males more active i just floated a female in his container :P

Wild marble

Posted Image

wild marble female

Posted Image

wild marble pair

Posted Image

Red BF Najrick

Posted Image

Posted Image

STUNNING platinum grizzle pair from Vicki, the female has great finnage and if i couldnt see the eggs in her, i would swear she is a pk male by the way she flares back at the male

'>

'>

'>

Phil, that green girl is HOT :P I don't think he's a metallic, tho I'll take a flash shot once he's out of his medicated green water :D you certainly do have a lot of breeding do do, lucky the weather is warming up (well not down here :P last week was sooo nice and warm, now it's gales and cold :P )

That Wild marble looks a bit like Lisa's black marble upside down fish, who is now a right way up fish :lol: , (must have been a tummy upset). I adore that platinum pair :cheer: . Great fish :P . Yeah I noticed the bigger the fins get on a fish the more likely they are to chew. Do you think big fins might get to heavy for the betta so they chew the tail to make swimming a bit easier? All that fin must be terribly heavy for such a small fish. OR Maybe bettas chew their tail during shipment as a nervous reaction, like nail biting. OR Maybe it's a combination of factors because not all big finned fish transported are tail biters I don't know, I'm just guessing :( .

I love that shot of the grizzle boy, Phil! May I have permission to use it on my web site? I only heard days later, but the pair were lucky to reach you at all -- or at least not looking like Dover sole. Long story, but my husband (who is a taxi driver, and very err...ROUND) happened to be at Marcus' place when someone called to deliver his fish and pick up your pair from there. The old bloke wandered in in his usual oblivious fashion and sat on the bed -- on the fish :lol: I think poor someone is still reeling from the encounter :(

Archived