finley

Seawater fin rot cure?

Hi

I've just had an interesting thing happen that I thought I'd share. I have one particular Betta whose tail got eaten away by 50% and never grew back. He never got really overtly sick and never had red edges - just this eaten away, miserable look. He's been in 'rain water + aquarium salt + tea extract', which my other Bettas are fine in, just not him. Then I tried something...

Next water change I used 'rainwater + 8% seawater + tea extract'. He's turned around. His colour is awesome and his tail is recovering!

Of course it could be something else that I haven't thought of, or because Spring has sprung and he's in an outdoor tank so he's generally happier ... but maybe it's the full spectrum of natural minerals in seawater, rather than artificial aquarium salts, that's done the trick. So it may be worth trying a 'rainwater + seawater' mix if you are having trouble with fin rot.

Finley

Edited by Finley

Hi Steph, did you use artificial sea water or water from, well, the sea?

Oh it's the real stuff! Collected from the ocean shore, up the coast a bit, north of Sydney.

I was previously using artificial salts from the LFS to add hardness to rainwater. From now on I'm sticking to the real thing, even in mid-Winter. There are always surfer kids around who I can ask to get wet on my behalf - to fill up my bottles! ;)