Summer outdoor vessels

Mpearce

As the weather heats up dramatically in QLD, I want to establish a grow out container outdoors. Does anyone up this way have anything like this on the go. I have purchased a shallow 80lt bucket which I'd like to use. Need advice on positioning, planting, gravel/dirt, top covering and if any filtration is required.

You will need bird netting, i'd go with hex chicken wire as that'll deter cats and things hopefully snakes too. Have something overhanging to provide dappled shade and try to keep the birds from roosting on your potpond. Stability-wise, I'd have gone with large terracotta, but budget-wise, i'd have gone with a tub too :photo: try to put it somewhere out of direct sunlight as the temp is going to fluctuate a fair bit of it gets sun. And it may turn into pea soup, which isn't fun. Any nice big trees? Filtration isn't that necessary (depending on stocking), but i'd put something there to move the water around a little at least. A powerhead or mini pond pump maybe? if you had a fountain that disturbed the top of the water, you may get away with having no bird mesh, but you would also lose a bit of heat overnight, and a fair bit of water to evaporation. Where is Ange? She has outdoor growouts. And Gavin, he has something like that too, i'm sure. Phil? plants?

I got an outdoor pond that is sort of shaped like an asian soup spoon on its side. It is about 2.5m long 1.5 wide and the sppons handle is again 2.5m long and 45cm wide. In it I had a breeding population of goldfish which has taken me ages to clean out the pond (there is still one of the annoying things in there :lookaround: ) but last summer I put in some golden white clouds in it. They seem to have overwintered in the pond fine. This summer I plant to toss in some fry of some of my fish - haven't decided on which, to see what happens. When I put in guppy fry in for 5 weeks last summer they put on size at an enourmous rate, without me feeding them once. Tha pond is full of plants! I am not looking forward to cleaning it.

I have been toying with the idea myself, I have plastic tubs I plan on digging into the ground under the tree. I am thinking Mollies, Guppies, Wild Bettas, and anything else thats breeds in my tanks.

Archived