Sign in to follow this  
Duv

Anubis is sick! HELP!

I have no idea whats wrong with home but I got home tonight to find him like this :(

I took him straight out of the tank and quarantined him as he is in a split tank of 3 boys ( they have plastic grid between them).

The tank is about to be completely cleaned and sterilised.

I'm nearly crying as he is my first Betta and I think he's to far gone to save. :(

Any ideas so I can either save him or euthanise him? (by the way how do I do this???)

If I know what to look out for hopefully I can save my other two boys.

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image2.jpg

oh hun

*hugs*

I fear that its a case of dropsy. Very difficult to cure. :(

I would put him out of his misery. It is terrible to have to do, but i dont think he will pull thru.

I personally put the fish in a small bag with only a little water. And put them in the freezer. Non-see thru bags help me not visualise the poor bugger.

I have heard that oil of clove should be put in as they will fall asleep/be knocked out before freezing. Bubbsy81 and i tried it the othe day and the fish wriggled then lay dazed only 10seconds after putting a couple drops in the bag.

I would clean and treat the tank with the other two in it. Not quite sure what i'd use, probably either melafix and pimafix together. Or multicure. Hopefully the others are ok.

Im sorry for the bad news, but i hope it doesnt put you off getting another fighter.

btw, i dont know what the white thing is on his belly. Hopefully someone else will know. but the bloated look and the pinecone scales are dropsy.

xo

Thanks sweet, thats kinda what I was thinking ><

I will have to remove my apple snails as I was told they don't like meds.

Hi Duv, sorry for the bad news, but that is dropsy, the direct cause of which is not fully understood. It seems to strike outwardly healthy fish at random. It is almost 100% fatal, and the rare ones that do survive never fully recover. The stuff on his belly is likely to be his skin and scales rupturing outwards due to rampant internal bacterial infection. I know it's hard to do, but you will lessen his suffering if you euthenase him. Your other two betta are unlikely to "catch" dropsy from their exposure to this poor fellow. Stress can be a precursor of weakness/disease so I would be reluctant to use any treatments on these two, but definitely clean your barracks asap. Hope this info is of some help and comfort to you. -Brad.

Thanks Brad

Anubis went to sleep and won't be waking up :( It just happened so quick! He was fine this morning when I left.

The other boys have been floating in bags in another tank while i scrub and boil the rest of the tank - rocks, ornaments, etc.

I'll leave the boys in fresh un-medicated water for the next week and keep a close eye on them.

Hello Duv, you did the right thing - he probably wouldn't have lasted till morning and you have lessened his suffering. Thought I should mention a couple more things that I didn't last night. You can clean your barracks fairly easily by wiping with pure alcohol. Do not use soap for this purpose as any trace left is highly toxic to your little mates. You can use bleach diluted at about 50 to 1,but once again any trace left is highly toxic so you will have to rinse repeatedly and wipe dry till there is no bleach smell left whatsoever. Also do not use bleach on plastics. Pouring boiling water into your tank/barracks is not recommended as it may crack the glass. One last thing, you mentioned ornaments, from my experience any cast resin ornament (including the weighted cast bases on a lot of silk/plastic plants) can be extremely toxic, especially in "small" tanks like your barracks. Resin leaches toxins into the water and it should be totally avoided. Anything toxic will weaken your fish's immune system and possibly be a precursor to illness. Also avoid brightly coloured and highly polished gravels as they are often painted, and once again, toxic. I just wanted to "cover all bases" for you to help ensure the health of your little mates. Seeya, Brad.

Sign in to follow this