Complete Newbie

NICK1960

Hi Everyone, My name is Nick and I live in Sydney. I was invited to join this forum by Najina of Najrick Bettas. I am completely new to keeping Bettas (except for the odd aquarium speciman during childhood). I have kept marine fish for several years and Koi and Goldfish in outdoor ponds for even longer. My other obsession is breeding various parrot finch species and grass parrots in outdoor avairies. In another life I also bred and showed Burmese Cats. I thought it was about time I tried my hand at breeding fish (that is apart from what goes on without my help in the fish pond). My passion is the genetics of colour and pattern inheritance and since developing this sudden interest in breeding Bettas have been rapidly consuming everything I can find on the net to do with the genetics involved in the many Betta varieties. At the moment I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a pair of Red HM's and a pair of Marble CT's from Najrick Bettas. I have already set up my first spawning tank in anticipation of my first attempt at breeding these beautiful fish. Regards, Nick

Hi Nick, Nice to see you made it :D The genetics side of this hobby is simply fascinating and we'll all welcome input on that. I think it's a fair comment to say that we are all looking at improving and strengthening the genetics of locally bred fish. I certainly hope our fish live up to expectations. :Drunk_Buddies2: Welcome aboard Nick. You'll have a good time I'm sure. Pat and Najina.

Hi there :Drunk_Buddies2: Indeed you have some excellent starting stock :D I've loved finches since I could remember. Used to have a pair of blue ones and a pair that looked like red breasted robins (sorry I was small when we had them so have no idea on names). always wanted to get back into birds to. I almost convinced my dad into letting me get a canary from my grandpa (he's crazy bout them) but then mum came in :D :D anyway, enjoy ur time here and have fun :)

Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome. Havnt quite figured out how to reply to the individual posts. So I'll try to do it from memory. At this stage I only have the one Marine Tank and it is set up as a Reef tank. About a year ago I was going to go the whole catastrophe and set up a monster sized tank with all the wiz bang and (groan)super expensive filtration and lighting equipment. But then I changed my mind. I still get to have a small reef tank setup which is surprisingly easy to maintain (10% water change per week and a bit of glass cleaning). The only nightmare I have at the moment is the presence of an univited guest in the form a of rather large Mantis Shrimp who likes to eat all the crabs and the occasional fish. I havn't had any luck so far trapping it. Lately its become quite bold and can often be seen sitting on the gravel at the front of the tank in full view, watching me preparing breakfast in the kitchen. For those of you who dont know what a mantis shrimp is, its kind of like a cross between a large prawn and a preying mantis and they have been known to take a finger off or cause grevious bodily harm if you're not careful. Yes the finches are cute, and brightly coloured, a bit like the fish. They take up a lot more space too. :blink: Nick

Happy to post a pic of the marine tank. Remember, its a cute small tank not a giant one. Just have to figure out how to post a picture.

Any advice?

Welcome!

Sounds like you're getting some great stock from Najrick, they have some stunning fish!

Are you able to post some piccies of your marine tank, you can't beat a well furnished reef tank, incredible colours and shapes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Photos need to be uploaded to the net and then direct linked. If you need somewhere to store your online photos that allows direct linking Photobucket is a really good option. Its free and really easy to use. All you need to do is use their upload feature and then copy the image link they provide to the image into your post here.

HTH

Thanks Mouse,

Will Do

Photos need to be uploaded to the net and then direct linked. If you need somewhere to store your online photos that allows direct linking Photobucket is a really good option. Its free and really easy to use. All you need to do is use their upload feature and then copy the image link they provide to the image into your post here.

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi VickiPS,

My fish arrived yesterday, and they are certainly stunning. Now just have to bite my nails in anticipation while I condition them for spawning.

Nick

Hi Nick, and welcome.  Nice to meet you.  I've got a few pairs of Pat and Najina's bettas too -- great way to start your collection!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh Huh,

So why am I to watch Robbie? <_<:(:dontknow::lol:

Oh, while I think about it, I keep reading about Microworms and Vinegar eels, where do I get these?

Nick

Hi Nick! Ausaqua is such a friendly place that you'll enjoy your stay :D

Just watch for Robbie...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived