splendidbetta

Beware The Rosetail

Many of our relatively new members currently active on AAQ, may not be fully aware of Rosetails, the different degrees of expression, the effects of the traits, and the warnings about their use in breeding programs.

This article by Joep van Esch is a great resource on this topic.

http://bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABRosetails.htm

Extreme Rosetails are one of the few common negative traits in the hobby, so I think it's important to understand them and to avoid their use in breeding programs (if your goal is not more Rosetails).

Cheers :giggle:

Thanks for posting up the link to this article Stefan, a must-read for anyone planning to breed HM bettas :giggle:

I do light the look of "slight" Rosetails in fact i have a HM male that looks like he holds some of the gene but his caudal is in no way reduced and his ventrals are long and his scaling is normal - can see why the severe rosetail trait could be disliked.

I myself do like Rosetails, though prefer the slight RT rather than extreme.

Thanks for the link 'Razzi. :)

Can this condition affect crowntails and if so how would you detect it?

It absolutely can affect crowntails. http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=140902&d=1127242409 (or http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3539385&postcount=1 )

Wow, I have never seen a Crowntail with the Rosetail!

Pretty though. Thanks for sharing Stefan!

Is this the start of rosetail developing in my Plakat boy? I've only noticed it in the last few weeks. He was beaten up pretty badly by Goliathy (see: link), and his tail is almost finished growing back fully. I noticed the wavy edges to the tail developing and on closer inspection noticed additional branching to the tail rays and thought I'd better check with the experts.

plakat11.jpg

Edited by TasV

Looks like its just growing back weird. I dont think you can have a 'normal' fish turning into a 'rosetail' :)

Really? I have a beautiful halfmoon boy (my display pic) with straight edges and a 180 has fin rot and now has completely turn into a rosetail. His tail is now so feathery, it look like those feather fans I used to have.

My PK boy doesn't have any asymmetrical scales that I can see so I wasn't sure... It's just where the fin regrowth is occurring that I thought the ray splitting was starting to look a bit excessive.

This was him when I first got him back in October last year:

girl110.jpg

He had only primary ray splitting at this point and was beaten up by Goliathy. Primary splitting probably isn't the right way to describe the ray splitting in Betta but I mean it had only split dichotomously once. Now he seems to have primary, secondary and maybe even some tertiary ray splitting (or maybe I'm seeing things too).

He spawned today too with a nice little PK girl B)

Hi tas how old was he when you got him maybe his tail hadnt finished growing either which is why you are getting more splits, i can see an increase since the before pic in a few rays, other rays seem to have gotten a bit wonky and uneven but that is regrowth for you ! on one branch there is 8 rays (just barely they split right on the edge). Rosetails most destinctive trait is excessive branching 8 rays or more on all branches, I dont think your guy comes close to it :D especially since some still only have 2 hehe

Im glad he spawned for you !

He certainly has bulked up a lot since I got him in October 2010. He would have only been a few months old at that time. Good to know it's probably not rosetail.