Lucky, Blanche, Dorothy and Rose

Terribletegs

All CallaLilli bettas - I won at the SBG in the raffle! Perfect! :D

First Lucky, the bloke:

000z69tk.jpg

Tell me if you see x-factor scaling here...

000z5h5w.jpg

Now here's Blanche, slightly beaten after her spawn the other day:

000yzw9f.jpg

Dorothy, who I think is the prettiest colour-wise:

000z2c3c.jpg

And Rose:

000zbb17.jpg

I have a billion more pics of these lovely fishies, if you want more. :)

I'd breed him. We don't know enough about the inheritance of x-factor and even if he has it, it's minimal and seems not to be affecting his finnage. And we may all learn something about genetics! (like the time we spawned ventral-less fish and got fry with ventrals...).

From Betty Splendens:

"EXTREME ROSETAIL: This is actually a DEFORMITY, and shouldn't be bred! The extreme rosetail appears when breeders are trying too hard to increase ray branching and not paying enough attention to the strength of form. Extreme rosetails have varying degrees of expression, but one gets skilled at identifying them if enough of them are seen. For one thing, almost all Extreme Rosetails (also called "X-factor fish") are smaller than their siblings, and seem weaker. Most of them have excessive branching and bad scales (this can look like someone has "smudged" the scales) combined with small dorsals, pale coloration, and stunted ventral fins. They are ugly fish, and they pass their deformities on to future generations if you can keep them alive long enough to spawn. It is unfortunate that a lot of inexperienced breeders see these fish and think they would be good breeding prospects because they don't know any better, especially when they are very young and look like miniature HMs!. Extreme Rosetails should be avoided at all costs! They will weaken your line."