Hello from Tassie

Guest myon.tourage

Guest myon.tourage

Gidday everyone.

My names Theo, and I live in Hobart, Tasmania.

I dont actually have any tanks up and running at the moment (tell a lie actually, have one at a mates place) but have been keeping fish for a few years now, and work at the retail end of the industry. My interests are focused mainly on smaller ornamentals like dwarf cichlids, and plan to be setting up again for killis and perhaps some wild-type bettas. Joined the forum to (like everyone else i spose) find out the things i dont know, and have some people to talk to who dont think im delusional.

If you also live in Tassie, please let me know - things like teaming up on imports could really cut down inspection fees and the like, also i dont know anyone who really shares my interests down here.

look forward to getting to know you all,

Theo

Hello and welcome to our forum Theo! :(( I can't help but agree that some people do believe phsycotic disfunction to be a pre-requisite for fish-keeping. I sincerely hope they are not correct. There are wild-type betta keepers on this forum and there are a number of killi keepers (including myself) lurking here also. I am sure you will find yourself among friendly people who share similar interests to your own.

Cheers, Brad.

Guest myon.tourage

cheers for the welcome guys!

must say Mike, seems to be a fair few common members in the two forums... am i right in thinking that this one came first, and then killiland (haha, like that. wish i could go there and stay.)was started so the bettas didnt get swamped? cheers for the heads up re IAL buy the way mike... reckon il have a go at getting some sent in. does anyone know for sure wether or not they are gamma irradiated upon entry? anyway, reckon shouldnt have any troubles, will put them in freezer for a while after they get here to be safe...

-Brad; sometimes i think about the delusion issues.. particularly when someone calls say a sparkling gourami boring, and then asks to buy some standard who-knows-what hybrid platys. for sure, beauty in the eye of beholder. personally, when i became able to tell the gender of livebearers faster than that of people, i knew there was no going back for me...

-Lilli; have really enjoyed reading those of your posts that i have had time to, was particularly interested in the stuff about lineage of females... look forward to reading more! (forsee lots of wasting time at work....he he...)

ta, and have a good one,

T.

Ausaqua was started by a group of intrepid adventurers several years ago, maybe 2004 if I just guess right?, as their own forum. I'll not mention who because I will do something rude and forget one of them :)

KFA started up only at the very end of 2007, and was originally completely unconnected to AAQ. I think maybe Serkan (killiorcory) and Michael (Bettarazzi) may have been the earliest crossovers, but with some crosspollination happening from the start of this year in person between the Sydney betta mob and the killi dudes, there have been alot more. But in fact, it's been mostly AAQ people who have joined KFA than the other way around. The betta people are becoming killified, and the reverse is only happening slowly :D

Re IAL, I'm sure it would go through whatever the standard irradiation procedure is for mail, but I think gamma irradiation might be a treatment they do only if they perceive a problem. It seems to be what they want to charge $40 for when they intercept something coming through, which is what suggests this to me. I don't think it has any measurable residual effects. Otherwise, I'm sure you could find someone up here to post you just a couple of leaves.

I think Theo was hoping they were gamma irradiated. But I am still half asleep :)

I have no idea if they are I'm afraid, but I can speak highly of Jeff and Wan's service and the quality of the leaves they supply. They are certainly very clean.

Guest myon.tourage

Hi again guys;

Thanks for the info, Lilli and Mike. had time to read the whole IAL thread tonight and found what i was looking for - Duv's confirmation of arrival!!!(thanks Lilli for the heads up re Duv's location, and also thank you Duv (gidday incidentally)for being the guinea-pig for us southerners. really pleased to see they got through our Q.)now just have to wait for my paypal to activate so i can buy some... (frustrating).

Interesting stuff about the origins of the sites, Mike. Glad to be put strait on the independent origin of Killiland (he he). I notice Serkan (gidday if your reading this Serkan, have enjoyed reading your posts wherever i have found them. Do I gather your of Euro background? or am i just being a fool re your name? ) has been very active in this killi/internet area. Are there any other sites i should be looking at? these are the only two forums i have used not based in Tassie. for that matter, theres only really one very active forum down here, and it certainly aint about fish like these.

And Lilli - obviously not too asleep! that was exactly what i meant. Though i dont really support the use of G. irradiation Mike, I agree that it has no lasting effect on stuff except for completely frying and destroying an items biological viability. i just worry about mistakes... accidents.... cancer....... (what was it we were saying about psychosis before? hmmm.) but it certainly can serve a usefull purpose as a prophyactic measure for Quarantine. and would certainly prefer it to use of some kind of chemical that might leave a residue. Whats your take?

if im getting off topic/should start posting in other areas/editing, please advise. would not wish to be irritating to anybody, but have little experience using forums, let alone this one.

have a good one,

T.

Hi Theo. To my embarrassment I haven't really given gamma irradiation a lot of thought, although I am a strong believer in QT in aust

I am also strongly opposed to cancer :P. But I suspect that places me in the majority!

I think this is fine for an intro thread. You're not irritating me, and I am AAQ's crankiest member :)