AQUAONE BETTA BARRACKS

moto_gardie

Hi all new to Ausaqua after stumbling across a link on Ultimatebettas, great to see a strong group of Aussie betta nuts.

I know that there has already been discussion of this system previously but I need to know more to help me make my decision.

Basically I am contemplating buying an Aquaone betta barracks for growing out fry and possibly another which I made modify (larger containers) for my breeding stock males. my main concern is the chance of disease spreading from fish to fish through the drip system and secondly the size of the compartments. to beat the issue of bacteria spreading fish to fish I figure maybe a lot of good quality filter media plus possibly a UV steriliser. only problem is I'm not sure if this will work, Wether or not i can get a small enough UV unit and I'm not sure what filter media would work the best.

I would love to hear from you if you have this system(is it working well, any modifications, are your fish happy and healthy and would you recommend it to me.) also I would love to see photos of it in action in order to get a better idea of space in each compartment and also the practicality of this system. thanks guys.

Jaxon...

Edited by Jaxon

I'm not sure I understand your post entirely, about modifying, not sure if you mean to modify the aquaone barracks or another that you've made but I don't think you'll have much luck modifying the aquaone barracks to house larger containers. We had one at work (when I worked at a Pet Shop in the fish room) and from what I remember of them the little containers are sized so that they perfectly fit the barracks and if they are pushed back too far they allow too much water to flow into the container and the poor betta is forced to swim against the current of the water spilling over the top of the container just so they can stay in it.

I actually made this mistake a few times, by accident of course, and the poor bettas did not look happy at all. I'm sure someone could give it a go, so if you attempt to modify it good luck! and let us know how you go

Hi Jaxon

I've seen a modified A1 barracks at one of my LFS. I talked about it with them and they basically had new cubes made to the same depth and height, but double the width, so instead of having 8(?) cubes across each level, there was only 4.

With the drippers at the top, they originally just had one turned off and the other one at one end, but with half of them turned off it increased the flow through the others, so they simply added a piece of airline to one and ran it out the back of the cube, problem solved. Having the water come in at one side also provided the bettas with a movement end, or calm end so they could take their pick.

As for spreading of disease, I'll have to leave that up to more experienced breeders to answer.

Good luck

Yes, when Jaxon mentioned modifying I assumed that he would do exactly what Betta Man just described. I can't see why that wouldn't work. I've had a pretty good look at the A1 barracks and it's really not that complicated a design. Don't think you would find a UV that would fit though.

I don't use a UV in my barracks system which when it's fully occupied can house 64 bettas. Think of a barracks systems as a single big tank and the individual containers as merely dividers to stop them fighting. Can disease spread from fish to fish in a barracks system? Of course it can. But disease can spread from fish to fish in a big tank as well. Yet no one suggests completely isolating or adding UVs to any other kind of tank to prevent the spread disease.

I've been running my barracks now for about a year and a half. Sure, the occasional fish does get sick (usually from injury or old age). Far fewer I might add than when I was trying to look after them in individual jars and certainly no more than the fish that occasionally get sick in a community tank. But I've never had any illness pass from one fish to another in the barracks. I think a barracks system allows you to maintain better water quality because of the ability to add filtration and perform water changes less than you have to in smaller containers. This more than anything else is what will prevent disease.

I'm not sure I understand your post entirely, about modifying, not sure if you mean to modify the aquaone barracks or another that you've made but I don't think you'll have much luck modifying the aquaone barracks to house larger containers.

Firstly thanks for replying basically I'm concerned about the space in each container so I am considering making modifications similar to those referred to by "Betta_Man"

Also since posting the topic I have found this internal UV steriliser at my local store which I may be able to somehow incorporate into the system. Thoughts????

http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Internal_Aquar...erilizer_9W.htm

Also could I get a quick run down on the best filter media to use.

Thanks again.

Jaxon...

Edited by Jaxon

• 1 month later...

Hi i have run the A1 barracks without a problem i used mine for grow out and some of my pks (these were odd fish that didnt like to much room :) ) i found that i had less illness also i could see them easier so i caught any problems sooner as all the other fish had plants pots etc to hide in, i added more noodles and filter wool to catch the bigger dirt, also a heater to keep everyone warm i ended up buying a second and am looking at getting a third one day

if you need any other info let me know :embarrass:

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for all your replies they are rely appreciated, I have one of these systems on order and as soon as I get it I will be sure to take loads of pictures and upload them so that anyone else interested in this barracks can have a good look at it.

Thanks,

Jaxon...

Hey guys,

My barracks finally arrived only problem is I cant work out how to set up the filtration, I have ceramic noodles 2 coarse filter sponge inserts and 1 filter wool insert. I'm not sure of the best order to put this media in and also I'm not sure weather or not to place the inserts horizontal (parallel to the bottom of the barracks) or vertical. any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Jaxon...

How i set up mine is , in the first conpartment (far left) i put the coarse sponge virtical against the back of the compartment and filled the rest with noodles (from memory i had to add more then was given) in the second compartment i put the second coarse sponge flat on the bottom of the compartment and i added a net of somthing else (cant rember the name off the top of my head was white rocks Not noodles) and heaps of fine filter wool on top then put the heater in the long compartment with the heat end toward the filter.

if your having trouble ill take some pics for you, also i had problems with the metal taps after about a year (from salt in the water) so i replaced them with plastic ones from a irrigation shop let me know if you need any other help

Found some pics on the computer,

100_6160.jpg

100_6161.jpg

Plastic Taps

100_6159.jpg

and my quick cleaner to get old food etc out of the tubs

100_6162.jpg

100_6165.jpg

All you do is squeeze the air out of the bottle then put the air hose in the water and let the bottle go, the bottle sucks the water out as it goes back to shape

Thanks for your help Rainy,

being able to see pictures makes a huge difference, I don't have any of those bio-rocks atm so ill make do with the filter wool for now. alos great idea with the 'poop sucker' I have a turkey baister which i plan to use for the same purpose. when you say salt in the water, did you add salt to the sump or to each jar ??? and how much, how often???