Algae Bloom

Mitch

Need some suggestions for removing algae from my tank. The crux of the problem are three very territorial breeding pairs of blue acara sharing a large tank. I keep buying the stock standard algae eaters from the local shop but eventually they surcome to being dinner, have even resorted to buying three to see if they would survive - the alpha male of the tank went besserk and started bashing the bag in an attempt to get at the algae eaters while they acclimatised to the water temperature (released the algae eaters down one end of the tank after distracting the acaras with bloodworm down the other). Have tried the magnetic glass cleaners but I think I have that black beard stuff which requires some force to remove. I am hand cleaning the glass using a sponge but am coming out with red welts on my hands and arms from the acaras attacking me. Any suggestions guys?

Hi Mitch,

Just a thought, I understand algae bloom is due to excess nutrients and light in the aquarium.

have you tried using a more powerful filtration system that will remove the nitrates in the water? Alternatively maybe try plants that grows on the surface to control the amount of light entering the aquarium, or plant more plants to compete with the algae.

you might also try and reduce the time the light is kept on in the aquarium.

also is your aquarium near a window where it is receiving a lot of light?

one more thing... how regular do you do a water change? Doing a 10-30% water change more often could solve this problem as well.

hope this helps :)

Edited by paulman

Without being able to add "algae eaters", my only 2 suggestions are less light, try & put the light on a timer, & I think Seachem make a product to get rid of algae - might be worth a try. Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Holly.

Eureka, well temporarily anyway. Enjo have a "bathroom handy" basically its a two inch square sponge on the end of a plastic stick. Its cleaned the glass in a relatively short time and the acaras focussed on the sponge instead of my flesh which is a bonus. is this thinking outside the bowl, so to speak. thanks for the suggestions. p.s. the bathroom handy was new so dont tell the boss. mitch