2ft tank ideas

Tara

Hi

I've decided that even though we are only here for 18 months, I miss having fish. So I am after some ideas.

I have two 2ft tanks, I'm going to set up, I'm just not sure what to put in them.

I want something that is low maintence, I like having plants but nothing that needs a lot of light. I was thinking of angels but then I read that they can get to big for a 2ft tank and are rather aggressive.

My son wants another silver shark like he had in Cairns. I'm not sure what I will need heating for. So any ideas info ect would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at getting a couple of fighters but they will have their own tanks.

Thanks

Charlie

Silver sharks have been known to become real tank busters (excessive size) so it is not advised for a 2ft tank alone or not.

I would opt for a planted tank with guppies (ideal for kids, lots of colour and community freindly), Corydora (small school of 3 or 4 max).

Or you could swap the guppies for some neon tetras and then add a few more corries to the school as neons are relativley "cleaner" fish than reticulata.

As for plants. Anubias on wood are an all time favorite, as are Java moss and Java Fern.

For filtration. A small internal canister (300lph) or an Undergravel filter ( though i found in mine that my bunched plants didnt like the turbulace below the gravel and quickly died off).

There are soo many alternatives for community fish for a 2ft tank. It is really up to you. Just be sure to not over stock and to keep up the regular water changes.

Let us know how you go.

I have 4 Corydoras, a few Rummy-nose Tet's and a Paradise fish in my 2ft. It's well planted, with CO2 and High-light (though you would not need to follow that route, of course), with an AquaOne external canister (AQ 750 - flows about 600lph). Definitely go for the canister, regardless of brand. So much easier to maintain and they don't clutter the tank too much.

Of the fish I have, my fave's are definitely the Cory's. Always active, ever curious and just plain fun to watch. Use a fine grained gravel and they'll be sweet.

You mentioned not knowing what you would need heating for...I gather you mean which fish require heating...? From the looks of some of the temps down your way, I reckon even the toughest coldwater goldfish would need some sort of warming aperatus!! Grab a heater regardless of what you plan to stock :D

Have fun with that!

Lol yes I meant heating for the fish. I do love the corys so I think they will be included they do best in schools of three or more dont they? I'm also looking at some Barbs I like the tiger the black ruby and the green tiger they live in schools as well, can you have a school of 6 different type of barbs or do they all need to be the same type?

My other thought was guppies, platties, swordtails, danois but I'm not sure what can go together and how many I could have in a 2ft tank and also what type of plants are suitable for these fish.

My only concern with guppies is dont they breed like rabbits? what type of heater size ect would be suitable for the 2ft tanks?

I found the two sliver sharks quite peaceful but then they were only babies and it wasnt until after buying them did I find out they grow so big, after being informed by the Lfs that they would do well in the 2ft tank. Guess I should have done my research first but my son just loved them.

Thanks

Charlie

No barbs with guppies. They are notorious fin nippers. Cories are best 3 and up. The more the merrier.

Definately heating required. A school of individuals should be ok. Though i would have two minimum from each school. Do as much research as possible.. What plants are you looking at using?

Yes, Cory's in groups of three or more work well together, although I'd not have more than the four that are in my tank. I just think it'd be too crowded... If you want to keep Barbs, I don't know if Swords would be a good idea...I hear that Barbs like to fin-nip a bit...which might also rule out the Guppies. Personally (and I stress personally), I find Platies/Mollies/Swords all rather boring, with Guppies only slightly higher in the rankings.

I really like my Paradise fish...being a Gourami, he can surface breathe (so can the Cory's), which really helps with not needing pesky air stones, and he is almost like a little puppy-dog and is a strikingly coloured fish. He gets along well with the Cory's and Rummy's, aslo. I tried to introduce some Pacific Blue Eyes a little while ago, but he smashed them to bits. All gone in about two hours! Stay away from Red/Flame Gourami's and Red Eye Tet's. My mate has a Silver Shark, which got all territorial and smashed his Electric Yellow Cichlids...and anything else that has been put in the tank since.

As too heaters, go with at least 1 watt per litre. I have a 100W in my 2ft, which is 70L.

Plants, as mentioned above, Java Fern and Java Moss both need minimal light. Amazon Sword and most stems will work as well (just don't go with the Red coloured plants, they usually need high light and CO2).

HTH!

My first choice for a 2ft would be heavily planted, with guppies and cories and bogwood, oh my.

I am a guppy breeder so I understand that that's not 'everyone's thing'. :) They would indeed keep breeding indefinitely, but depending on your local LFS and/or your relationship with any large cichlids, that might not be a bad thing. :) If left unchecked a guppy colony *will* reach a point of equilibrium, but even for a guppy nut like me, the point at which equilibrium is reached is usually way more guppies than I would like. So you would want somewhere/one/thing to offload your extras.

As far as the cories go my experience has been that one-species groups work best in small tanks. I would go with 6 of one species... my choice would be Corydoras arcuatus but any species you like will do.

My next choice other than guppies would be barbs, tiger barbs or moss green barbs can look nice in a school of 6 or so.

I hate 'community' tanks so I would stick to 2 species (cats and 'dither' fish) but again that's my personal preference.

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback, you have given me alot to think about and research. Plants I like are the Java fern and Java Moss, I also like the anubias nana, amazon swordplants, vallisneria.

Could a paradise fish and a bolivian butterfly go together in a 2ft tank or would they be better on there own? Would either of these be suitable with guppies. I read that Bolivian butterfly are cichlids could anyone tell me if they dig up plants ect. I have a large sponge filter's and a 240v filter with a sponge inside not sure of brand but it come with the tank that we had goldfish in.

would either of these be suitable for the types of fish i have mentioned. Sorry for all the questions?

cheers

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

HI Charlie,

Good to see your back on!

I've had paradise fish, and they seem to be quite the little bullies, but in saying that it seems the butterfly's can look after themselves quite well. I have never really had any issues with putting fish in together - Really only the paradise fish. I think they if you get them all quite small they'll adapt. I'm sure some people wont agree, but meh.. Sometimes its a case of trial and error i think.

Only get one. If you do some searching on them, you'll find that they are the most agressive Gourami...something that I was not happy about, since I only learnt of this after I had grown attached to mine. When I got him, he was being harrassed by a larger Paradise... However, don't let this discourage you. Probably not a good idea to house Bettas with these fish, or other Gourami, but mine has never hassled the Rummy's or Cory's in my tank. I think anything smaller than it will be sweet, particularly in only two foot of tank...

"Fido" (as the GF calls him) is really a little puppy. He has this really annoying habit of sitting right in front of my face, whenever I am trying to look at something in the tank...if I move my head, or look at something else, he'll move right in my view again. He'll also sit up out of the water to be hand fed... Quite funny, really.