Killifish

hobbygodz

Where are they native to ?

Some of the annuals (eg Nothobranchius eggersi) are from Africa, some other peat spawners (eg Simpsonicthys) are from South America. I don't know much about the mop/switch spawners such as amieti and gardneri, though.

Thanks guys, yes these are seriously interesting fish. Gardneri display a ton of character and attitude, which I guess is one of the reasons that we are so fond of our betta. You can have a community of males and females with these fellas and the interactions are quite entertaining.

P.S. The oscars that I spoke of somewhere else on this forum were owned by my dad and I some 20 odd years ago. They were beautiful BIG fish and I will never forget them! We kept four of them in an 8' tank. Previous to the oscars we used to catch and keep marines. Much as it was fun I would never want to own a large tank again. I can look after up to 20x25 litre tanks with much less effort and I can have many more little friends!

Cheers! - Brad. :D:dontknow::D:fish::D :fish:

Here's a couple of newbies that I "borrowed" from Lisa's stuff at the september killimeet. I believe they are Nothobranchius eggersi males. Once again my pics don't do them justice. What looks white is actually brilliant platinum.

fryeggersi009.jpg

fryeggersi024.jpg

Cheers everyone!

Yeah, how true Razzi. Betta are quite hardy little fish, though after no losses for a year or so I have lost 6 in just a few months,- in spite of what I believe was the best of care. *lol*

Seeya, Brad.

Edited by Brad

Hi Lisa, giving away (lovely) little fish at midnight is not at all outside the realms of (our) normality............... ;) . The eggersi boys are moving into a 20 litre tomorrow and I'm sure there will be room for one of their brothers to move in with them. Thank-you for your offer, never enough cute fishies.

If you can send me a p.m. I'll try to hook up and grab Mr Eggersi. I won't be riding tomorrow with the weather like it is, or any evening around 6.30 after I finish work would be fine, whatever suits you Lisa.

Thanks & cheers, Brad.

Hi Brad, I'll have to say no as I am going to be overhauling the fish room. It needs a thorough clean-out, and I need to nuke several tanks for BGA. Not sure what fish I'll keep at this stage. But thank you anyway!

Cool score, go the rockets! :hug: (slang for epiplatys). These are very quiet little fish. I like them because they are cute, clean and simple to keep. They will get along fine with your shrimp. Did you get a boy and a girl? - Brad.

Edited by Brad

Cool score, go the rockets! :hug: (slang for epiplatys). These are very quiet little fish. I like them because they are cute, clean and simple to keep. They will get along fine with your shrimp. Did you get a boy and a girl? - Brad.

Sure did. Do you know anything about breeding them?

Hi bewarebrunette, what (very) little I know regarding breeding these little guys (from the one spawn that I've had) is at the top of page 2 of this topic. What I would advise though is to get a couple more females if you have a large enough tank. The reason is that when he's in the mood he will pursue (follow/chase) her relentlessly and the result will probably be a tired and stressed girl that is unlikely to lay eggs. With a few girls in the tank his harrasment will be shared. More girls may also give you better odds of a spawning. ( :hug::):fish::fish::fish: ) Cheers, Brad.