Non-VTs in Aquatic Pets at Penrith

killimike

I was surprised on venturing into the rebranded Aquamart store in Penrith Plaza to find that they had a couple of interesting splendens. It got me thinking that I have only ever seen CTs and VTs in LFSs out this way, and only a few super deltas in the more chic Eastern suburns haunts.

Aquatic Pets had

- a 'short fin fighter', looked like some kind of blue plakat

- a Double tail crowntail, a green fish IIRC. It wouldn't flair so I couldn't get a good look at it to confirm its caudal shape etc, but it did have the long dorsal and a slightly compressed body

- a halfmoon that looked a bit like a mustard gas fish.

High price fish, compared to $8 VTs at least, they wanted $50 for the HM and $30 for the DTCT I think.

I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't stop and prod the DTCT, but have people seen much of these before? . Just thought it was odd to see such an uncommon fish in an LFS in an area that's usually a sea of VTs. It could have simply come from Bayfish, but since their wholelist isn't accessible by the public anymore (apparently due to software issues), it can't be checked.

I was considering doubling back at some point and 'taking another look' :)

I wonder if that guy "Anthony with tattoos" bred them... maybe?

Glad to see you're spending your shopping time wisely Mike :) . Doubling back for another look sounds like an excellent plan!

I don't recall ever seeing a DTCT. Can't say that the idea appeals to me, but maybe if I actually saw one I'd feel differently.

Was the MG HM nice?

Local shops (Frankston area,VIC) has started to vary their fighters. I have seen the list they purchase off and arent much more than the crownies for dtct and deltas. Mind you, the local DODGY pet shop has hm's for $60!!!!!!! ripped and young and runty ugly things. SUPPOSEDLY they are selling them?!!! my guess is they are dying

I have seen dtct, not my thing but definitely different for someone who wants just one or two on display.

The MG HM looked ok, lots of finnage, looked to have fairly straight caudal edges. Again, hard to tell when he wasn't particularly active.

I haven't gone back up yet, but I did call. They are looking at $45 for the DTCT actually. At that price, I think I have a little time to work with :)

I found one, just one, on AB, and put up an Auctionwatch thread. Not the best photo, will leave it up to you to decide if it's the best fish or not.

I obviously just haven't been looking, but a DTCT just never occurred to me.

At Coburg aquarium the bettas are varied, they have heaps of VT,CT, Giants and a fair amount of deltas,doubletails and i think what looks like hmpk. Also what i found funny was at this other LFS, they had a 3coloured hm that was selling for $80! He looked really really sick.. and they had this VT that they called snowspeed fighter that they were selling for $72 i LOL'd

I went into Aquatic pets the other week and they had just gotten quite a few betta in, they were all in little bags floating in there plant tank. I went back 2 days later too see if they had any HMs and they still hadnt taken them out of the bags.

I am concerned that this thread is about to evolve into a "my LFS treats bettas like ..." conversation. Seems like a good opportunity to remind everyone about the forum rules about defamatory content. Don't go there, folks.

FWIW, it takes quite a number of days for most of our fish to get through the importation process, so they spend a significant amount of time in bags while in transit. It can even take up to 5 days for fish to travel interstate in Australia (it once took 5 days for a shipment of mine to reach Cairns, for example, with the bettas no worse for wear). A couple of days in a bag wouldn't phase them provided they had been fasted properly beforehand. Of course, pet owners would not keep them like that on a permanent basis!

Anyway, let's stay on topic now if we can please. :)

how do you guys go about asking to have a look at teh wholesale list? I've considered it before but have never actually asked. do the sales people let you or do you have to ask management?

I'm seriously considering getting a betta again for my tank but from when I was looking around a cple of years ago there wasn't much out there. plus I'm a bit scared to go into a LFS and end up buying more than I should :)

when i was in sydney a few week ago ( i had to set up my aunts new fish tank) i went in to i think was strickly aquarium in cambeltown for gravel and they had some "MOONTAILS" for $20 most where deltas but there was a few HM there was also the normal LPS VT,CT and i think some PKs

theres a LPS up here in kingory that has a constant flow of fancy bettas that i got a giant from *lol*