Baby Bristlenoses!

ninoid12

lmfao i wish my babies would line up like that!!! lol

My adults are around 8-9cm long i think? And dad has nice big bristles. If you click on the photo and enlarge, the picture is clearer so might be able to see. Mum has no bristles.

I love them, watching the babies scurrying around the tank and sucking on their algae pellets or zucchini is so cute ;)

I had HEAPS of trouble catching the brutes in my tank! Had to take out the sponge filter, the statues, and the logs and cave. THEN i had to chase and chase them lol

I had four containers next to me. One they went into. From there, the small ones were put into one container to put back in to grow (less than 1cm size). The bigger ones up to 2cm were in another and went in a bigger 1.5ft tank to grow out. Then the last container i put the 3cm+ ones in and bagged them to go to the aquarium.

:(

Nina your adults sound about the same size as mine.... although one of the males is a bit larger I think (he won't line up on the glass to be measured!)

After you teach the babies to line up on the glass you can then go onto teaching them how to polish snails for you.... This snail and its partner have just had babies - quite nice little things but there's a fight between them and the bristlenoses for the algae pellets and other food I give them now.

IMGP2627.jpg

Catching them is one thing... getting them to let go of the glass is another thing all together!!!

Most of mine are getting to 3cm but am not looking forward to the catching part to take them to the shop - usually get about $2 each for them at that size so it's worth it to get the credit back to spend on other fish / food / etc. I can't take lots in at once so will end up with a lot of them going well over 3cm but I'm lucky to have several shops that will take them from me.

I've just discovered one of my males is sitting in a log full of eggs so looks like more to come so it's about time to move some onto a shop soon. At least while they are small they are very active and good little cleaners - the larger they get the lazier they become at cleaning the glass.

My trick for catching BNs is:

1. Get the fish to the front glass with the net. Trap them against the glass.

2. Move the net so that they are on one edge. Ideally they will swim back into the 'tank' - the net. If this happens, pull the net out of the water as fast as humanly possible! If not,

3. Holding the net firmly on the front glass, move the net upwards and side to side in a zig-zag pattern, until you are at the top. Be ready with a fast zigzag as you near the end.

This technique I find to be the best. The BNs become 'trap-shy' as we say in ecology, and become craftier with age. The 'zig-zag' pattern is necessary as they will usually dart to one side, lulling you into a false sense of security before teleporting to the other side of the net and slipping out. If you anticipate this movement with your own counter zig-zag, you will have outsmarted them.

Good luck! I am fishing the last of my BN fry out tomorrow afternoon, and I am not looking forward to it! I usually remove all the plants in the front of the tank first to avoid frustration.

• 2 weeks later...

i think dads on bubs atm. Mum was very fat, then a wk ago she wasnt. So im expecting some newbies out this wk. I had another very fat girl in another tank. Gave her a man and she is now skinny too and he is fanning at the entrance of the cave.

Fingers crossed

Bought two albino bn younsters the other day. around 6cm long. Sadly one died :( :( :( So the other is now in my display tank, hopefully growing up big and strong so i can get it a gf/bf when bigger :)

Still have the two albino longfins. Both looking good, but both prickling nose. One more than the other, so hopefully the shorter pricky fish stays a girl :)

Great to hear they are doing well there! The comons seem to breed like rabbits when they get going.

Sorry to hear your albino didn't survive. If you weren't 2000 km's away you could have a couple of my albino young ones - about 6cm long and one with bristles starting but have about 10 of them with no bristles.

Maybe you could encourage one of those LF albinos to shave! Bad luck when you get two fish and hoping for a pair like that. I was lucky with the calico pair of mine but out of 5 LF albino I have I think I might have at least 1 male and a couple of females (fingers crossed).