Baby Bristlenoses!

ninoid12

Had no luck with my pair in my 18in tank. Put them in my two ft last wk with lotsa hidey holes.

Last night i noticed a clump of what looked like eggs, next to one of the caves but not in it, and so i asked sweetheart bubbsy81 to google what they looked like. She looked the info up and agreed they were eggs!! hooray!

This morning, they were gone? What!!!???? As i walked away, i saw somethin on the glass.... omg!!!! Baby bristlenoses!!!!!!!!!

They still have their yolk sack so im guessing because the eggs werent in a cave, that they shouldnt be out yet. But omg they are so cute!!!!!

i have counted 24 so far. Fingers crossed they survive :D

babybristlenose.jpg

umm, ok, now my bristlenoses have all dissapeared???

Could that be because they are stronger now to move into a cave to grow? Or do adults eat their young??? :)

No i didnt add any more hidey holes really. Just moved them to the 2ft tank like i have been planning for oh so long but hadnt gotten around to it. Been feeding parents zucchini for a while now (and my other bristles in other tanks) plus the occasional spinnach, mainly algae discs though.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i forgot to update, all the babies re-appeared two days later lol. guess they went hiding to grow a bit stronger.

They are really piggy and im feeding heaps of lettuce, zucchini and algae pellets.

So far i've got around 25 that i can count. of course some might be hiding in the logs, statues etc.

Ive had a problem with cloudy water. I have been doing 50%wc twice weekly and cleaning the sponge filter once a wk in the emptied water, but keep the powerfilter as is. Any ideas how to keep it cleaner?

Does anyone know how long until mum and dad might re-breed?

Also, aproximately how long will it take to grow them to selling size?

selling size is usually 3 - 4cm and usually go for about $1 per cm so i would say about 8 weeks. Feed lots of zucchini and they will grow in leaps and bounds. Most likley i will be getting some off of you when they are ready.. lol. Im already planing ahead.

breeding time seems to be around every 3-4 weeks. i got my first batch of babies around the same time you posted this and just recently have gotten my second batch of eggs.

good luck with them.

cheers

michael

ooh i hope i get more! Im thinking of putting them in a three foot with guppies- would that work? i mean, they are at the bottom, guppies are up the top (the babies hang around the top ive seen) so could i possibly breed both in the same tank? or would this not work?

In my experience, if the guppy tank is quite heavily stocked, *especially* if it contains adult females, your baby BNs will have trouble competing for enough food.

They do great in a guppy fry tank, but the more adults you have in there, the worse off your BN fry will be.

BN fry do really well with super-clean water, so make sure you keep on top of your waterchanges to keep their growth rates up and avoid stunting. :giggle:

yeah i wasnt sure if you could have guppies breeding above bristlenoses breeding. owell. just need to set up another tank lol

GUESS WHAT I FOUND!!!!???!!! TINY BABIES!!!!! They must have bred again, cuz these ones definitely havent been around the past few wks. Very excited. The bigger ones will have to move out soon, spread them around my tanks. I can only count 3 atm, but im sure there are more hiding somewhere. I think ive only got 25 of the first spawn but im more than happy with that :)

hooray!!!

first lot, today:

Image107.jpg

Image107-1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Can you see dad poking his head outta the 'cave'? :dance:

Image118.jpg

he is such a good daddy

on his fourth batch, at least i think its fourth? there just seems to be tiny bristlenoses always appearing from nowhere?! maybe more! lol

:cheer:

Edited by ninoid12

Fergus, some BN females will get short bristles around the edge of their mouths as well but its the males who get them sticking straight up on their noses as TT said. My albino BN females and calico female have no bristles at all though.

Nina, make sure you train the little ones to line up on the glass so you can count them!

common_bn.jpg

Do you have any other varieties of bristlenose? I'm pretty keen on the longfin albinos and I really want to get some nice calico longfins.

Manda, put one of those clay hollow logs in the tank and see which ones claim it or fight over it... usually these are the males.... it's quite funny watching two of them trying to get into the same log and at the same time trying to get each other out of it!