Black copper hm male - 3 months

fighter boy

ok well ive just recently travelled to Ninas (Ninoid12) place to take a browse at how she is going with her spawns. i walked out of their with this beauty and some others. He is a Black Copper Halfmoon and around 3 months of age. Im already in live with his streaking in the caudal and its nice and even to boot.

His anal fin is nice though my next goal to improve this line is to get a bit more of an extension. His dorsal is nice and strong and the colouring is brilliant all the way through. Im just waiting for those Ventrals to grow....... looks at watch in anticipation........

let us know what you think.

PHTO0192.jpg

PHTO0174.jpg

I highly recommend you all go down and see Nina for quality halfmoons. She really is a star and has fantastic taste.

Edited by fighter boy

And here is one of his woman.

I intend on spawning these two, two days after the next full moon. so very soon.

PHTO0145.jpg

PHTO0083.jpg

She is not Halfmoon. just super delta but i think with some practice she could make it. I love her anal fin. It is not exaclty squared and has a bit of an extending edge. Just the way i like it.

She is too damn fast to get a good photo of. Very active and wont sit still for nothing.

Im hoping neither of them absolutley tear each other apart. they are so beautiful to watch.

If all goes well i should have the pair at the next melbourne meeting to include among others in the show. Thats if we have one this time of course, but why wouldnt we....

Also one question of genetics for you lilli. because these are both Black Copper hm's. does that mean all fry will be black copper. or some black and some copper? I know black is recessive and i dont know which black these actually are. but im assuming that due to the copper event if they were melano the female would still be infertile from what i have read on bettysplendens.... correct?

thanks alot guys.

I love her anal fin. It is not exactly squared and has a bit of an extending edge. Just the way i like it.
What do you mean? which edge?

They look black lace to me. Nina, do you know? (that's the easiest solution, LOL! ask the breeder!)

There are plenty of people who know more about genetics than me! For example, I only know the following from observing the breedings of, and speaking with, Nick1960. Stefan and Michael C would also know more than I do about genetics, just to name 2 (I don't mean this to be exhaustive!). So doing my best to respond to your question:

Both fish are steel blue with 2 copies of the metallic modifier. Therefore all the fry will also be steel blue with 2 copies of the metallic modifier (ie, 'copper').

Blue betta genetics

spread iridescence is dominant and I would expect all fry to have irid all over.

As for the black, if both parents have 2 copies of the black lace gene then all fry will also have 2 copies of the black lace gene and will be copper black lace.

If they both have 2 copies of the melano gene then the fry would (theoretically) also have 2 copies of the melano gene, but as we know, melano females' eggs perish after being fertilised. I have not read that the metallic modifier has an effect on "infertility" in melano females, can you link to that article please as I would like to read it :)

Black betta genetics

Fertile metallic melano females:

The first copper/gold female I was able to acquire (in 2003) was bred to a melano HM male from Bonnie McKinley lines, and produced 100% metallic green. Subsequent generations saw the return of the melano color, with some modifications: while most of the blacks from this line had heavy coppery iridescence, they were curiously free from most blue or steel iridescence normally seen (and faulted) on melano bettas. Selective breeding increased the intensity of the black color while keeping the line relatively free from blue or steel, and eventually produced black females which had enough coppery iridescence to be fertile.
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1040

More info could probably be found in the link citations for Joep's article here:

http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABcolorgenetics.htm

They are very nice fish. I would expect the fins to get longer naturally as they get older. It seems unfair to critique the male at this stage because obviously he would be faulted for the short caudal. Love the colour though. Personally I'd be inclined to outcross at this stage rather than do another sibling cross. A sibling cross might just perpetuate the short caudal. If you're not careful you're going to end up with something that has a PK caudal fin with a veiltail's anal fin. A rather grotesque thought if you ask me.