Pros and Cons of ground cover?

Ive been reading the posts about what is the best ground cover in different tanks depending on light, substrate etc.

What are the pros and cons of having this ground cover?

I absolutely love the look of a field of plants, so thats a pro.

Cons... is it easy to clean the fish waste from the bottom of the tank? do you need to trim plants? are they ok with undergravel fiters etc?

initially having to plant the buggers and then having to maintain them, and yes, this means having to trim plants.

you can just vac the crap off, otherwise the plants will utilize the poo.

having plants creates a far healthier environment for the little fishies.

Edited by holycow

Pro - its pretty! Makes a better environment for the tank and (most importantly) makes people exclaim, be amazed and astonished when they see how awesome fish tanks can be.

Con - they tend to need high light and Co2 which = more money going out the drain :fish:

Did i get that the right way around?

Pros - Looks awesome! So much better than plain substrate or BB. Not all groundcover needs high light or CO2, but it does help. My Riccia grows like wildfire and needs trimming every week...but I do have those two elements mentioned in the last sentence, plus I dose Excel. No need to vacuum...as 'razzi says, the poo just acts as fertilizer. I cannot recall the last time I actually vac'd my tank...in fact water changes have just become a fortnightly top off of evaporated water. Finally, my Cory's absolutely LOVE foraging around in the soft, lush "lawn"!

Cons - Can't think of any. Seriously! Maybe one thing (in the case of my unstoppable Riccia), is the eternal trimming that I need to do. And tying all the offcuts to new rocks can be a real PITA. That will soon end, though, cos I nearly have the entire tank floor covered.

I guess if you're growing HC or the like, then yes, the added nutrient etc requirements could be an issue, as well as the waiting for it to fill in properly...