Update on my 70L

This is how some of you might recall my 70L planted tank

IMG_1375.jpg

...a bunch of plants, Hygro, Echinodorus, Wysteria, Amazon Sword, Hairgrass, Anubia Nana "Petite" and Riccia. All fed with that great algae producing product, DIY CO2...

I have since diced the DIY in favour of pressurised (expensive, but sooooooooo worth every cent) and most of the plants. I deleted the black background for a more "open" feel, also.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

...plants that made the transfer were the Echinodorus, Hairgrass, Anubia and Riccia. I added Pogostemon Stellata and Microsorum Windelov and Microsorum Broad. The rocks were found at one of the local creeks. I had a picture of the exact rocks that I wanted, and how they would sit, in my mind...after a couple hours of foraging, I had pretty much the exact pieces...

Still a WIP, I might ditch the Microsorum yet and keep it looking simple. Eventually, the riccia should cover the entire foreground...

Critique welcome :drool:

Yeah, I reckon ditch the java ferns as well. The other plants will reach their peak much sooner and the java ferns will still be straggly and not there. They really need to be grown in a nursery tank or buy lots of them or use in a layout that contains lots of other slow growing plants so they peak together.

The riccia's looking really healthy. I like the hair grass around the rocks but I'm not sure about the rock arrangement. Might look better once the plants fill in a bit.

Yeah, the rockwork took some time to grow on me also, but am pretty happy with it (obviously seeing it in the flesh is much better than pics). As to the J. Fern, that has not grown in the two months it's been in the tank! :) The Stellata is trimmed (read: hacked down to size) every fortnight...I really like that plant, so delicate, but grows like a rash. The Riccia just grows and grows...it is also given a lawnmowing every week. Very happy with the succes I have had with it.

Just back to the Java for a tick; the Windelov has these little pups growing off the tips, complete with roots. I am considering plucking those off and dotting them around the place, maybe around the base of each rock, or in a clump somewhere, simply because it will stay low and not require excessive trimming... Still working on that thought.

Cheers Razza :)

Edited by Ghengis

• 2 months later...

OK, so I have moved into a new house and had to reset this tank. I decided to keep it pretty much the same, just adding a couple extra rocks and some Ludwigia Arcuata...which nearly died in transit, but managed to save a couple small stems, that are coming on well. I tossed the Java Ferns (except for a very small bunch of Windelov, jammed between some rocks) and added an old T8 15w light, bumping total wpg to 3.5 . I also upped the Co2 to 2bps... EDIT: I also trimmed the little glass lid supports from around the rim (visible in pics above) for that "rimless" look.

I decided to give this a name, and settled on Picnic at Hanging Rock, after the famous book/movie released in the early seventies.

Enough drivel...pics.

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

Plans are to get the Ludwigia into a sizeable bush and maybe flick the Echinodorus in favour of it. I also want a new light, something in the 4x24w T5 range.

Anyhoo. Thanks for looking! :)

Edited by Ghengis

Looking damned nice ... Hanging Rock is a good name... that rock looks like it's just a fraction off of falling! Question is.... will the fish disappear mysteriously as they swim round that rock?

What have you done to geet the riccia to grow submerged? I have a lot of it floating but cant seem to get it to grow submerged as well.

The Riccia is tied down to small rocks (about 40 of them...what a mission THAT was!)

I need to keep trimming it, otherwise the lower sections will rot and release from the rocks.

Incidentally, I will be farming this stuff soon. I'll put a post in the classifieds for anyone interested in buying some...

Btw, Jess, yes the house is lovely, thanks! Sooooooo much better than that pokey little flat that we were in!!

There is room for more tanks, but as I mentioned to you, I want a reef at some point, so I need to play the game and keep the relevant Home Authority happy :)

You're right about the rock...it was always screaming to be turned around a little. I like it much better, now.