Sign in to follow this  
Fergus

Velvet, Whitespot, Irridescence?

I've been treating my fry for velvet since Lisa pointed it out to me in this picture last week:

lightdarkday13.jpg

I took these this afternoon after treating the tank with Protozin for 3 days... are they getting worse or starting to colour up? They are now 16 days old and around 9-10mm. The shine seems to be part of the fry not on the fry, if you know what i mean, though they still do have a few spots on them as well. Treatment is continuing. These pics are of 3 different fry, i have around 20 i think.

fryday161.jpg

fryday162.jpg

fryday163.jpg

Edited by Fergus

They are some real good photos there Amanda. It looks to me that they have a bit of iridescence but some fo those spots looks concerning. Looks a bit like velvet to me. They look to be doing better. Good luck and let us know how you go..

Also, just wondering if it was ok to use one of these pictures in my disease identification page on my site?

These pictures are exceptional. What camera are you using?

Hmmmmm, not a lot i can do other than continue what i'm doing whether it's velvet, whitespot (what is the difference?) or not unfortunately. I just hope my babies make it - is it sad that i'm so attached to these little guys?? LOL

Rob, feel free to use any of my pics that i post on the forum :lol: I have a spaceship camera... :) seriously it's a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6. It has Anti-Shake which is awesome, and i use the Landscape setting with Super Macro turned on, all my pics are taken using a flash.

Edited by Fergus

I've googled her camera...it looks like it's an artefact missing from the Roswell Landing! lol

Velvet is a fungus type thing I believe and white spot is a protozoan parasite. the white dots that you can see are individual parasites called trophonts. I found this article here for you. it's quite informative :)

Edited by Fighters4U

They don't look worse to me. There seem to be fewer spots. Keep the protozin up! :)

They look like very small whitespots to me. Keep that protozin coming.

Velvet and whitespot are very similar, but the positioning of those spots is more consistant with whitespot. Velvet tends to go for easy access areas around the eyes and on the fins and often seem to cluster and look a bit like the fish has been rolled in pollen. White spot is bigger and doesn't seem to be so worried about ease of access and tends to look like the fish has been sprinkled with grains of salt.

Okies, the bottle said to treat the tank on day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 6. Now today was day 4 and added protozin (half dose) to the tank anyway early this morning as i could still see the spots. My question now is whether to continue using each day or should i wait three days before dosing again? I also did a small water change this afternoon (siphoned about 500ml off and added about 1L of aged tank water), does that affect the treatment?

Thanks for that article Cassi :lol:

I do think they are definitely developing irid. as it's much clearer today. Most of the fry have bluish irid. on their bodies and tails - very exciting! Though some have a definite gold metallic on their heads - i'm hoping it's metallic anyway and not more disease!!! Seems to me that no matter how much research you do before spawing your bettas the little monsters will throw something at you just to make life confusing :) LOL

It will dilute it if you dosed before the water change. Usually, I would dose daily for a week for adults or older fry. However being that they are young fry and may be stressed by the disease so perhaps dose them tomorrow. With dosing, you want the catch them before they encrust themselves and when they come back out looking for a host.

Others may have more info on this as it was so long ago since I treated fry for ich I cannot remember.

Jess

I don't know I'm a bit concerned... I would not go to overboard... as I think what you also have to keep in mind is you're getting VERY detailed up close photos of these guys so every little 'speck' is showing up in a lot more detail then what it normally would. I had a similar thing - a few of my fry photos looked like they had white spot.. I didn't treat, but kept an eye on them and it never turned into anything.

It's definitely an infection. I examine my fry with a magnifying glass looking for just such symptoms (so I can treat immediately) , and mine don't have any.

Keep following the directions on the label. The worst thing you can do (besides prophylactic medication - don't let me get on that soap box) is quit before you've done the whole course. The infection can become resistant to the meds and you'll end up with a strain that's hard or impossible to kill...

I always understood it and ick are protozoans both susceptible to the same medication in protozin.

Sorry if this post offends anyone - I had red wine but also want to try and be helpful; .... :)

Sign in to follow this