See-thru Guppy

davo

Dear all..

I was in my googling travels today.

Found this article that might interest some of you.

it's a pretty good read.

http://www.bioflux.com.ro/docs/2009.2.137-145.pdf

The paper is very interesting due to the fact that we are now seeing the first see thru fish (in this case guppies)

Anyways, thought it was fascinating to see.

Have a great day

David

Hi Davo....thanks mate that is very interesting to me.

I've been working with Endlers for almost 3yrs,adding Pingu,Panda,Iridescent and colour over the head and gill areas.

Just got some albinos too.

The fabulous thing for the hybridiser,is that a fish like this provides a 'blank canvas' or background to print on.

In a similar way I have been trying to get a 'blank' with my Endlers.

First breakthrough was when 'Blond' turned up since this gene removes black.

Male Blond Endlers have a few flashes of red,yellow or green on a very pale body colour.

By crossing these with my Blond Albinos,I'm expecting,finally to get this 'blank'.

Some of my Snakeskin Endlers are showing enlarged green 'polka-dots' with a thick black ring.

By crossing these with my 'blanks',I hope to produce a guppy that looks like cellophane with iridescent

green Polka dots.

And of course,lots of unexpected colours.

Jungle, I doubt that removing all the colour from a fish is going to make it easier to produce new patterns. The only thing this might be useful for is if you want the pattern to consist entirely of a smaller set of colours. Otherwise you would be better off breeding new patterns from fish that already have the colours you want.

I'm not sure that the glass belly gene is a blank canvas as such, ie one that you can use to add colour to different parts of the fish at will. The lack of colour on the glass belly has affected the entire fish. So to selectively place colour as you're trying to do with your green polka dotted cellophanes, the gene would have to be one that can affect one part of the fish and not another. I'll be interested to see your results of introducing albino into your blond green snakeskin endlers. I would expect albino to affect the entire fish as well rather than selected parts. So if they carry two copies of the gene the phenotype will show up as albino. And if they only carry one copy, they'll appear snakeskin.