Nothobranchius palmqvisti *pic warning*

Figure_8

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

well... I did try and go for a second hatching on the peat, but I'm not sure how it went since I left the light on a tad too long and got myself a beautiful algal bloom in the tank. Hallogen lights :blink: I've been feeding the tank just in case there is any fry in there somewhere. I thought i saw one yesterday, but it could have been a trick of the light LOL I haven't gotten any other killies so far though.

Hey Mousie :bighug: Just to let you know I've noticed some velvet with my palmqvisti fry 10days or so ago and I poured in some salt in the tank (tons more than what you think!) and it all cleared and the fry are doing fine. They hatched on the 14th so, so far so good. Probably you were loosing your fry to velvet me thinks. Just FYI.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update: I raised 3 males and 8 females from my first wetting of the peat. They are all healthy so far I'll set them up for breeding in my holidays starting this Friday :yes::o;) I have re-dried my peat for second hatching but did not have time to do it. They are way over-due now. But I'll wet them on Saturday and will see what happens. Very good looking fish.

:) Thank you! Not a great number but I got 7 fry out of this wetting. I love fry with orange bellies full of brineshrimp; I can see them then :lol: They almost doubled in size already. Interesting thing is that I can still see some eggs in the peat! I don't know if it is still worth wetting them for the 3rd time in a few weeks time. I'll see how these are developing first I think; I'll also take the eggs to work and try to get their photos I think. As for my now adult ones; breeding has commenced :P I cut a soda water bottle in half and filled the bottom part of the bottle with 3-4cm of peat and gently lovered this into the tank. As soon as it is in the males started to check it out and one of the three males claimed it for himself. Another disagreed and said :rant: quite forcefully. They sparred, side by side over the peat swishing each other with water directed with their tail and body. It went on for a good hour :) And you guys think bettas fight ;) It was quite funny at times because one male would be outside the bottle and one in, and they'd fight through the plastic. Amazingly no fin damage occurred. I did not want to leave it to chance so I made another breeding enclosure and now around 80% of the time both are occupied by a male trying to attract the ladies (there are 8 of them) into their love nest :P The third male is a bit smaller so I did not make him a "love nest" but I noticed him sneaking behind the resident male to do what comes naturally with one of the ladies :goodo: This group has grown together in this tank and are unusually peaceful to each other. I got told unless each male gets a breeding container and some space (home territory) all hell break loose. But hey, they've only been breeding for a couple of days now. They could change :P I took photos by the way, though as usual I need to develop the film to see how they came out.

Archived