Sign in to follow this  
Callatya

Neenish bettas?

This batch of red golds has proved quite fascinating. Originally we thought ha! easy, red dragon x gold dragon, piece of cake. Then maybe the gold dragon wasn't dragon, then there was red loss, and wait, was that some rosetail? Oh dear, they are marbling, but UNDER the metallic? Where did the colour go? What is going on with these fish!?

Suffice to say that after this spawn I feel somewhat justified with my head-in-the-sand approach to genetics given that it was such a mixed bag from what seemed like such a straightforward pairing. :(

There is a trait that is showing up that I am very curious about. On the red dragon fish, i'd say over 50% are showing this pattern. Basically the fish is divided in half, and there is a higher concentration of metallic covering towards the head. I thought I was seeing things at first, and then I thought they'd grow into it and the rear scales would thicken up, but um, I wasn't and they haven't.

It isn't quite so obvious in photos as everything glows under flash, but here are some pictures.

100409betta_GD045.jpg

100409betta_GD033.jpg

100409betta_GD021.jpg

Some of them have a wonderful thick cover from end to end, which is great. Others have little to no covering at all, which is also fine. I'm also ok with the gold/silver spangled ones that seem to decide what sort of cocvering they'll have on a scale-by-scale basis. What has me interested is the pattern. Not one of the fish has this anywhere but the front end of the body.

Any ideas? If it was one or two, that'd be quirky, but such a high number with the same trait in the same place makes me very curious indeed. Is it overly enthusiastic masking? It is terribly indecisive monster? Is it the real definition of a half dragon? :( I want to know why I have a room full of half & half fish!

thats interesting i found a simillar thing with alot of the fish in my dragon spawn(that was the first time i have breed dragons) they seemed to have full dragon masks but only a few dragon scales on there body if any at all it was probably 50% (around 100 or so)of the spawn.I think i have culled most of the fish that had it but the marble male i am keeping has simillar charatoristics.He will be in a video i am putting together over the next few days.I thought that they were what is refered to as half or part dragon rather than a fish that just has a light dragon covering to me they would be metallics.

LOL i think they are pretty LOL. I would lead towards maybe the marbling affecting how the scales are forming, maybe technically they ar a metaliic fish which has been well halved lol by the marbling gene? Well in a month you might have completely different colours anyway lol GO MARBLE haha

kylie

Sign in to follow this