Indian Almond Leaves in Port Douglas, Qld

miha1967

:D I just made a discovery! I am surrounded by Indian Almond Trees! They grow everywhere in Port Douglas and surroundings. Even in my own garden! I discovered one just came up from a seed in my garden. The seeds (nuts) are transported by bats or something so that's how it landed in my garden. Anyway, I've notice the shape of the ones I buy is the same like the leaves of these trees and I 've notice they make a fruit almond shaped. I reserched and the result: they are definitely Indian Almond Trees! I just colected some leaves!

Cheers!

Edited by mihaela

LOL using google maps to find ketapang leaves, good one guys :D

Well, if anyone from down south is planning to go to Qld anytime soon, we could possible make a map for you noting all the ketapang trees you go near on your trip? :betta:

Yeah, there's an old thread somewhere which I can't be bothered looking for, where it was determined that the trees wouldn't grow further south than Coffs Harbour. However, if you had a heated greenhouse.... My fantasy fishroom has a north facing greenhouse section where I grow tropical orchids hanging off and Indian Almond tree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Post a pic of the trees, mihaela. Have been looking around as well (although not very hard, I must admit), and don't even know which trees I'm looking for... I know they are out there... Somewhere... Watching... Waiting...

Just look for trees that have leaves turning red and falling at this time of year.

In the summertime its the trees that the blackcockatoos chew the tops off the branches and make a hell of a mess.

They have none in brisbane so i guess there would be none on the goldcoast.

Sorry, haven't been here for a while. Ghenghis, that's the tree from the pictures Lili posted! Tghey are pretty much every where here. I didn't know why I didn't google it myself from the begining. I suppose I can send some but when I can. I don't want to go and pick up leaves every day. I've sent some to Michael (Bettarazzi) and they arrived without problems. I've sent them registred and he paid for postage. Send me PM if you want me to send and I'll do my best!

I was wandering if the red leaves would be better or it doesn't matter! The ones I've sent to Michael were picked up from the tree but I used the already dry one from under the tree and they seem to be as good.

Cheers!

Actually I think the fallen leaves are what is normally used. At the Fish Fair in Melbourne last weekend a few of us had a look at the dried green leaves and they look and smell quite different from what we're used to. The leaves that we get from Thailand and Singapore have a very strong perfume.

Actually I think the fallen leaves are what is normally used. At the Fish Fair in Melbourne last weekend a few of us had a look at the dried green leaves and they look and smell quite different from what we're used to. The leaves that we get from Thailand and Singapore have a very strong perfume.

Anyway you let them dry first I suppose! It's easier to pick up the fallen leaves but I didn't know that did I. But the fallen dried leaves have no perfum anyway. Maybe this is a different variety of the tree.

It's definitely Indian Almond Tree though. I will take pictures when I can. But the leaves, green or dry, don't have any perfume. I used them succesfully though.

Actually it is very true.

In regards to IAL, you should never get the leaves attached to the tree and dry them.

The reason for this is that the leaves are not mature enough and don't have much of the antioxidents formed yet.

The best leaves are the ones that has already been on the ground. As these leaves are fully mature and the antioxident levels on these are very high