Sign in to follow this  
koriana

Fry not quite right.....

Hi guys,

I have 9 2 month old CT fry, which have been going great until 3 days ago.

I noticed 2 fry had very slight trouble swimming, it looks almos liek they had a weight stuck on their tail, instead of swimming horizontal whenever they went for air, or food, they swim tail down.

I got them out straight away and put them in quarentine, in a shallow container so there was no struglling to reach food or air. They are still in the same water as the others, butin a floating chinese container.

The next day 2 more were down, so they went in the same container, and today another 1 !

I dont know what is going on, no one has died at this stage. But i am really worried about my babies.

They dont have clamped fins, they seem hapy except for not being able to swim properly. Doesnt look like SBD as the only thing wrong is tail down, not sideways or anything else !

They are in a tank of rainwater, I have added 10% water gradually weekly since they were hatched. When the first fry got sick I did do a water change, I was worried about the other fry but it hasnt helped.

I cant see any presence of white spot or velvet! Ammonia is 0, PH is 7.8 temp is 28... ahhh

They are being feed twice a day, with microworms, small helping of BBS, finely ground Frozen blood worms, and i have also been introducing finely ground betta flakes,

They do have a snail in their tank, and lots of java moss, as well as IAL ....

I did a bitof a google and came up with a type of fungus?? but not sure ....

kylie

I had that exact same thing happen to most of a spawn once. A breeder on another forum suggested it was a type of SBD due to overfeeding, he suggested I fast them for a bit and then continue feeding reduced amounts of food. it took a few weeks but the problem resolved itself. I didn't consider them to be overfed but the reduced feeds seemed to do the trick.

If they're having trouble getting to the surface for air lower their water level a bit so they don't exhaust themselves.

Hope that helps.

I agree, it is SBD. I had a fish in the red/gold dragon spawn develop it. I netted him out and plopped him into the 4' planted tank where he got no food at all other than whatever organisms he could scavenge (it seemed more optimistic than freezing him). He now swims perfectly. He's a big spunk who flares at the Kribs and rules the tank, lol!

So - maybe cut feeds down to once a day. See if you can get some grindal worms and FD blackworm, as unless they are extremely small for their age, MW and BBS will be doing bugger all for 2 month old fry. You can chop the FDBW into small pieces and it seems highly palatable. I would keep up the blood worms.

Sometimes if they're overfed while the swim bladder is growing this can cause problems. But at 2 months old they should be well past that stage. If yours are still only eating MWs and need their bloodworms chopped up maybe they are still at the swim bladder development stage. So try cutting down food for a week or so, as other have said, and hopefully it will improve.

Just out of curiosity, have you tested the nitrite? I had a heap of 9 week old fry sideways on the bottom of the tank or swimming tail down & I had nitrite in the water. I've lost approx. 40 fry! :( It's the only suggestion I can offer.

thanks guys for youe help, one of the fry already seem better.

They arent small for their age I am just having a hell of a lot of trouble getting them to eat anything other then MW or bbs!

I might try grindal worms, Im a bit limited at my LFS as to which food I can get, its either bloodworms, or adult brine shrimp thats it !

Thanks Bubbzy nitrate seems to be ok, so looks like it is SBD when i tried so hard to avoid it !!

kylie

Well thought I would let everyone know, that every single fry that was affected is now perfect ! They are all aók again =)

PHEW...

And just to add on i feel like a fool lol the fry are 6 weeks old not 9 sigh lol

kylie

Sign in to follow this