Saltwater Tank

thegatti

I am setting up a 3ft saltwater tank for my brother's birthday. It has crushed coral, live, rock, a heater, and a filter in it so far. anyone here know much about the world of salt water fishes? Does anyone know where I can get some good info eg. forums ??? :)

• 2 weeks later...

When's his birthday? I ask because a marine tank needs a ridiculously long setup and cycling time, before you add any invertebrates, let alone fish!

If this were my tank for example, and I bought all my substrate and liverock today, I would not be expecting to put any inverts in there for at least a month....

Try www.masa.asn.au

Go to the Reefpedia there, and read thoroughly. Generally, all 'basic' questions in the forums will simply get you redirected back to the Reefpedia. So it's a good idea to do your research first.

Edited to add: They have a comprehensive beginners' guide there too, which should probably be your first read.

Edited by Terribletegs

I set up the substrate, live rock, filter etc. and cycled it for two or three weeks and made sure the nitrite was zero. It was ready just in time! :) My brother has 3 chromis and one half and half damsel in there now. He may be getting a pair of clown fish very soon. ;)