5 litre tank

Neffy

I had a 5liter tank i got from big W that had my betta fish in it, he unfortunetly died :( i dont know if it was related to the tank i think it could of been the current of the filter stressed him out but he stoped eating much and was very inactive. The plants i had in there didnt seem to move arround much but itd push him down a little if he swam under it.

I tested the water the day before and 0 ammonia and ph about 7-7.2 i also had a soil layer then gravell layer and some plants as well as a heater on 22, i decided to remove it all.

should i put another betta fish in there or if i can stock it with other smaller fish (which ones) and maybe shrimps (there so cute).

filter and heater i had in there

When i remember? LOL *hides* Seriously i do a 50% water change every other day, using a siphon to remove the crap from the bottom, and a 100% WC about every 3 weeks. I haven't tested the water but he is quite active and content

when i started keeping fish i had one of those tanks. i found the current to be way to strong for fish. it may be suitable for shrimp, some shrimp don't mind the stonger current, you'll need to cover that filter inlet though. if you have a spot you can put it so it gets natural light you could try some lower light plants(or higher light plants if it gets enough light). or maybe try an emersed setup. you could grow some crypts emersed next to a window, if your lucky you may even get them to flower. Hottonia Palustris Looks great emersed as does lillaeopsis brisbanica and HC, lots of nice mosses that grow fantastic emersed to.

Edited by MJay

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just use a different filter? Something air-driven in that size tank should be fine. Maybe the Penn Plax Smallworld filter would work? If you can find one, an undergravel filter suitable for bowls should fit and would keep the water parameters nice and stable by turning the gravel bed into one big biofilter. You could even run the UGF and the Smallworld off the one pump if you wanted to cover your bases.

Other than a betta, what about killifish? 5L is not much and upright is not ideal, but I have a pair in a 6L tank and they seem quite content with the arrangement :(

I think most other small fish would be too active for such an upright tank. You could try male endlers or endlers hybrids though, I think that could work out OK.

The idea of shrimp is not a bad one either, there are some beauties around!

I've got one of those tanks l took the lid off and took the filter out and put a small world air driven filter in the tank it sticks to the wall of the tank and l've got my mustard gas crowntail in there and l havent heard any complaints from him he seems very happy even eats food out of my hand.l put an aquarium divider on top of the tank and l've got a desk lamp standing above it.

someone suggested covering the intake part of the filter to slowen the water sucking up, therefore slowing down the downflow of the water current.

I put a thin black sock over mine and it has helped a LOT. It took a bit for the sock to clog up enough with water to work, give it a few hours or overnight at least. Try it anyhow, empty, worth a go. If it doesnt work nothing has been lost.

I'd throw away the pump and filter.....Get a fine black substrate...20mm deep

half fill it with 80% rainwater 20% aged tap water......and add lots of floating plants....duckweed/water sprite/java moss

and a Lucky bamboo plant (let it grow out the top of the tank)

I'd add a few Malaysian trumpet snails and a few Glass shrimp and a pair of Wild bettas from the coccina group...

Not everyone's cup of tea....but it would work for me!!!..... :)

No filtration....30% water change once a week....I'd get a reptile style heater for the tank to sit on

Edited by Rod

hmm i dont know. i guess as long as water can go thru it. I was reccomended putting one of the sponge bits on it, but god have you seen the prices at aquariums for that little sponge bit?!!! gulp!

i thought with such a small pump and not totally blocking the uptake it would be ok. so far mine has, but i cant guarantee anything.

I'd put some nice male guppies in it! It's plenty big enough for 3-4 male guppies.

Seconded the air filtration idea - I'd go UGF personally.

EDITED TO ADD:

Clark Rubber sells fish filtration foam in 25mm and 50mm thick. Make sure it is the right stuff. It's usually white/pale yellow. The black stuff is usually automotive, not good for fish filters.

HEAPS HEAPS HEAPS cheaper than buying it at the LFS.

Edited by Terribletegs

I've got the same tank as well for one of my males tho mine has a dial to lessen/increase water flow. I only turn the filter on for a few hours in the evenings and he seems pretty happy. My water changes are every second week, when i remember that is. cheers mitch

• 3 weeks later...

Update on how this is going :D ive decided to stock it with a Male betta from aqua bid when he arrives :) taking so long.... But im also tempted to have it to house my 2 female betta i have on order (also not arrived hehe) But i thought it might be too small for 2 what are ppls opinions ??

I have put 8ish glass shrimp in there so far, i dont want them to be eaten so i hope there quick.

I loved Rods idea of the lucky bamboo and i had one in a little vase right next to the place the tank lives so it went inside and i have tied some Flame moss to its stem, ive never seen it grown completely vertically only on driftwood so that will be intersting to see if it works and looks nice. A small peice of Anubis, some Milfoill i think its called ?? but im not happy with it, its not thick enough to hide the little bottle filter i made (which seems to be quite strong as well :( ). Then with the remaining flame moss i tied it to an air tube and thats an experiment at making a horizontal wall of moss :P. Ive then got some strange little plants i recieved when i brought my flame moss that ive put in to see what they look like grown, One is like a fern the other a moss to grow on rocks. unfortunetly i havent got a good enough light yet and there starting to go a little brown, shall be fixed on the weekend.

Here are pics :D

The strange ferns

Hard to photo tank lol

Edited by Neffy