Aquatic plants suggestions please

Tammy

I am sub-dividing my 2 ft tank into 6 little betta rooms and I would like a plant for each. I am the biggest black thumb with aquatic plants but in the interest of my boys happiness and comfort I have decided to throw some more money at them and hope that I dont manage to kill this lot of plants. Otherwise I really will go plastic from now on!!! Thanks for your help.

Aquaria.com near you have a low light selection and they sent me these: - Nymphoides aquatica (banana plant) - Hygrophlia polysperma - Anubia barteri - Cryptocoryne mioya - Nomp. stricta - Bacopa carol. - Corymbosa A couple of $15 20w halogen table lamps sat on either end of your 2ft tank and hovering just 10cm above the cover glass will grow all of these except the Anubia... I think... I've only managed to kill one plant they sent me, a large leaf thing. For lower light than that you may just have to stick to the Java moss and Java fern. The clay balls are marvellous things for feeding plants but I think most fail from low light.

This is the pack I got: Jarls Hardy mix.

I put the val in the goldfish fry tank (potted in anchovy jars) since it is also a coldwater plant and it is happily growing new plant shoots out the sides despite the low light.

The banana plants will have babies if they can get a shoot to the surface too, and some of the others have started rooting halfway up, when they get enough roots I can chop the tops off and replant them. So one plant died but about five have been born. I think it was a good investment.

I find I cannot kill: Java fern Anubias Java Moss Bolbitis I started to really like crypts. In all my tanks my absolute favourites from practical point of view is Java fern. They do not like to be planted in the gravel. Good thing! Since most of my tanks do not have any gravel in them, hence the 4 plants I listed above do great for me. And if I can grow them so can anybody!!!

Tammy, someone also has some awesome Anubias. They come complete with rock so you dont need anything... chuck them into the tank and voila! However, they grow slowly so if you want to enjoy for a long time, this is the plant to go. And more importantly I havent killed mine yet.

Tammy I have a couple of off shoots that I haven't gotten around to planting yet.. You're welcome to them if you like. I've been told its Wysteria. Totally unkillable and does ok in low light levels. Really easy to propagate too.. just break a bit off and let it float around the tank & it will root.

Posted Image

My unkillable plant looks like that, Mouse, simmilar to Wysteria but called Lace Fern by 'Pisces'. It is fantastic cause it floats, can be put in the gravel the boys love to bubble nest in it, I don't use anything else They sleep in it, Fry hide in it and eat stuff off it, It reproduces by a leaf piece so much so it's a mat on the surface in my 3" grows in cold as well and handles warm too, I find it is a algie retarder also and helps with waste in the small containers Having said that Iam very careful not to let any get into our waterways. And if my brothers hasn't killed it in his goldfish tank it must be tough.

I've been told its Wysteria. Totally unkillable

Think again my friend, I have managed to kill 3 lots of wysteria, several bunches of anubias, copious amounts of blue stricta, the list goes on :eadshake: . All my plants turn black after a few weeks. They take root and get new shoots but the older leaves are so black I just pull the whole plant out and replace it. I am now using plant food to see if that helps.

I'm hopeless when it comes to plants.

Also called 'watersprite' and 'Indian fern'. Some say it needs high light but I find that is if you want it to grow really quickly.

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Even Di likes it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watersprite! Thats what I bought it as!! *writes it down* Thanks Jo!

Think again my friend, I have managed to kill 3 lots of wysteria, several bunches of anubias, copious amounts of blue stricta, the list goes on :thumbs: . All my plants turn black after a few weeks. They take root and get new shoots but the older leaves are so black I just pull the whole plant out and replace it. I am now using plant food to see if that helps.

I'm hopeless when it comes to plants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh dear.. you have my sympathies!

Thats exactly what happened to every other plant I put in my tank. Several varieties and all failed to survive under my black thumb. The only two plants I manage to keep alive are Wysteria and Java Moss.. and well I've even managed to kill of the Java Moss a time or two :eadshake:

Also called 'watersprite' and 'Indian fern'. Some say it needs high light but I find that is if you want it to grow really quickly.

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Even Di likes it!

Uh huh :photo:

Actually even under my black thumb and low lighting this plant thrives!!!!!

My anubis survive okay and my java fern hangs in - but water sprite thrives - I'm actually planting some in the gravel this weekend (it has all been floating so far) so I'm hoping to have a wall of green at the back of the tank.

I find watresprite is great in with jarred boys (soaks up all the nasties and extends the water changes a day or two).

These 3 plants are the only ones I've found to date which tolerate the high temps of my betta tanks (around 27 degrees).

HTH, Di

Wysteria I had some but I killed it :), trust me to kill the unkillable :photo: .

These are some that are some of my favourites.

Shame I don't have the foggiest clue what they are called.

This one is great for those shy fish to hide amongst and it grows like crazy, unfortunately it also falls to peices if you touch it, but left alone it thrives well.

Posted Image

This one was called something :cheer: fern surprisingly I haven't killed it but it is a very attractive fine leafed plant. It needs to be planted into the gravel.

Posted Image

This plant I have no idea as to what it is, it hichhiked on another plant I bought about 2 months ago and has since grown from a 2 leafed 3cm cutting to 50cm stalk.

Posted Image

Oh and I also like java moss (perfect for bettas), sailboat, crypt (if you can keep it alive). Java fern is OK, it's not one of my favourites though.

I find watresprite is great in with jarred boys (soaks up all the nasties and extends the water changes a day or two).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do this too, usually with one of the floatie offshoots I always have. I like to chuck it in the grow out tanks too & the fry love taking little nana naps on the leaves :photo:

Archived