How to describe my betta

Hi all

I love all my bettas, but when talking to people about them I'm never sure how to describe this one. She is a LFS betta, one of my originals kept in the office.

105961395778.JPG

She is actually a bit deeper red than the photo makes out, but you get the idea.

Any suggestions on what to call her/how to describe her?

Cheers :wub:

Yeah she's typical of fish that haven't been bred for colour. She retains the original colour markings. My guess would be an arena plakat.

Is the arena plakat bred especially for fighting?

She certainly could be a fighter, she has plenty of attitude and regularly launches herself out of the water when I'm putting live food in with a dropper. She regularly bites the dropper.

She also flares more often than my blue VT.

traditional pk... they have the imbellis colourings. i first started breeding these guys. i have one girl left from my origional spawn. she is so cute. these are my favorite and yes they are the traditional fighting plakat though the ones found today in lfs are far from fight worthy to their thailand counter parts. they are not bred for finnage or colour. more for aggression and body shape. traditional males can be bulky and thicker bodied or leaner with a longer body. these guys are very fiesty and pack a punch due to the shorter body and with help of a shorter tail.

though some may agree they are not the most stunning of the bettas we have available to us today but i find them beautiful and amazing to watch... (not fight of course i do not condone this sort of past time)...

you have a lovley girl there and suprisingly very much like mine. though mine has a deeper red and blue irrid streaking with out the traditional imbellis green colouration in the dorsal or body.

Yep, arena plakats are bred for fighting.

Sorry to contradict Robert but traditional pk is not a good term to describe these fish. I can see where you're coming from. These are certainly where it all began and come from a long tradition. But the tradition of breeding fish for colour and finnage rather than fighting goes back a long way as well. That's what veiltails are after all.

The term 'traditional' is already officially in use by the IBC and refers to a show plakat with what the IBC has determined to be traditionally shaped finnage. All the other colour rules still apply. This fish wouldn't really fit into the IBC traditional pk class. Of course we could differentiate by calling one a traditional fighting plakat and the other a traditional show plakat but then the word traditional would be redundant.

That fish is what I call the basic Australian genetics, these are the style of fish that have been bred locally for a number of years, they are great starter fish for beginners, students etc. They are generally prolific breeders with spawns in the 300+ fry commonly achieved. We bred one pair of them last year to help with the feeding cost for our imported show quality lines. I still have 40 or so living in a 2ft tank.