Duckweed-low light tolerance?

Hello forum members, I would like to know if "duckweed" is low light tolerant. I want to use it in tanks which recieve minimal sunlight and have no overhead lights. Standard room lighting is on in this room for about 6 hours per day. Thought I'd better ask before I risk fouling my tanks with dead (duck :( ) weed. As an indicator I can say that java moss does well in these tanks. All the tanks are heated. CheersAll! -Brad.

I can attest to that fighter boy...your duckweed does grow in any light!

The bit you sent me has taken over many times and I still have to thin it out at least once a week.

I tried removing all I could a few weeks ago, hoping it would not come back but it has, with a vengeance!

Duckweed is awesome. Gives my tank a swamp-ish look when it's a full surface carpet with my overhead light trying in vain to filter through to the amazon swords!

Edited by Fighters4U

Just as an example, Jo Oakley gave me a glad bag full of duck weed at the MBG back in March. I have not touched the damn stuff, not even opened the bag since then, & it's still alive & kicking. No light, no oxygen, no nothing! I couldn't kill it off if I tried.

Brad, you know the shelf in my fish room under the 2' tanks? I now have jarred bettas there and they all have pretty happy looking duckweed in their jars. It doesn't exactly thrive on that shelf, but it is alive and not struggling. It has no artificial light at all, just whatever gets under there from the fluoros up top and whatever reaches them out of the side of the 4' on the other side of the room.

Thank-you for all your input guys. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. My killies will be happy. The duckweed I have also came from Jo, so according to Bubbsy81's rather extreme biotest I will have no probs at all. Cheers to everyone! - Brad.

:anyone::fish::fish::fish: :fish:

Edited by Brad

Funny you should ask that Brad. I was actually given a bag of duck weed & a bag of azola - the mozzie fish was in the azola. Anyways, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to put either of them in my tank & have my tanks over run with them, so after I got home from the MBG (in my exhaustion) I just chucked both bags in a the cardboard box I had taken with me & completly forgot about them. 4 weeks later when I was tidying up I came across the box. I picked up the bag of azola & nearly had a heart attack when I saw the little swimmer in the bottom of the bag still alive & well. The poor little thing had had no light, no food, not even any oxygen for FOUR WHOLE WEEKS & was none the wiser for it! Now I understand why they're such a pest!!! You can't get rid of the buggers! lol

Holly.

Edited by bubbzy81