Which Filtration do you use? Advice on HOB's

Jess

I have a few different filters I use for different tanks and I am thinking about trying a HOB filter (hang on back) I have an under gravel filter in one of my tanks, its OK providing I do water changes more then I would with another filter, and by gravel vaccing more often. The down side i,s medicating with this sort of filter, as meds that affect biological filtration totally stuff it and I must re-cycle the tank everytime. This tank only gets fish that are long termers and I do not move them lightly. However, as I have it in my octagonal tank, it suits well as it has more height then surface area. I am thinking of changing to a HOB filter on this tank as the glass lid needs replacing and I can get it cut specifically for it. I use an internal biological filter on another tank, I love it and its easy to clean by shaking it in a bucket with old tank water. However its noisy *sigh* Wouldn't mind a HOB on there too. I use small corner filter for small tanks, because they fit well and do there job well as I change water more often and the Nitrates do not build up. So, do HOB filters work great? I am still deciding on a brand. I have seen a good one over at AOA called the Tetera Whisper 30. Then again, I would like to have an external canister :)

I use Marineland Millenium and Aquaclear. The Milleniums run quieter, but also have less oomph. The aquaclears IMO have less oomph than a comparable Fluval internal. it all depends on what is more important. Popping bubbles and otor noise drive me batty, so i am very very fussy. I also hate water changes, so I need a lot of grunt/turnover. I would highly recommend the larger ACs (300-500) for grunt and reliability. I have had one running pretty much continuously for over 5 years. They do grumble a bit in the motor department but they will keep going for years AND they allow a lot of flexibility in the media department. The marineland filters, although quiet and most penguin models allowing for the added benefit of the biowheel, are based on the cartridge principal. when they block up, they go everywhere. Aquaclears block up far less easily. I have found a way to cut down the splashnoise, but it needs a bit of tweaking. If this becomes an issue, let me know :) I have not heard many bad things about the Whisper range, but I have not had any experience with them, so I really couldn't say how they compare. And out of them all, cannisters ROCK! ViaAqua over the fluvals, they have more media room :)

I run a fluval 404... great cannister, although I tend to agree it could use some more space to put the media. Mines got a stackable 3 piece 'tower' which I use 1 section for carbon and the other 2 for ceramic bio-noodle type things. I'd give the bioballs a shot, but I wouldn't fit many in :)

stay away from the liberty brand, i find that they are very noisy, it was so annoying i had to swich to a different filter since the tank is in my room! But, i think that HOB filters are one of the best filters for tanks, the only problem is that you have that gap in the lid at the back of the tank all the way along that is where the fish like to commit bowlacide.

If you get the glass cut specifically to fit that filter (Cain's glass in Peachtree Phil :)) that cuts down the bowlicide pretty dramatically. If i was to do it again, i'd also get a piece of perspex the size of the cutout or slightly longer, and superglue a hinge to the lid and the flap, so that there is no change fish can accidentally 'trout' out while swimming upstream or reaslising their mistake and turning around! :)

i have one HOB, an Aquaclear. Again, with the NOISE! but the sponge is very easy to clean. I love canisters, provided that fishy can't get sucked in. Lise, I think bioballs are best for a wet/dry bizzo as opposed to being submerged in a canister. That hasn't stopped me floating them in a basket in barracks sump though ... The ceramic noodles are brilliant, I love them.

I've never had any problems with my fluval. Its quiet, maintenance is easy & the ceramic noodles seem to do a great job. I was always curious about the bio-balls since a lfs guy told me that was the way to go, but when I looked at the size of them I realized it wasn't going to happen :shake: I was considering getting a HOB with my next tank but if they are really noisy I might not bother

Thanks guys, Well it looks like I will trying an external cannister!! My parents are moving away and my dad is giving me his brand new external cannister :cheer::o:D Its either a fluval or viaAqua, I am not sure, but I am excited as my 4ft so needs one!! I appreciate the good replies on the noise of the HOB's as it will be in the family room and sometimes I have to sleep out there when the kiddies are sick. So an Aquaclear is the way to go?

hmmm, I might have to wait a little while before I get the glass cut so it fits whichever I go with. I might get dad to whip up an acrylic lid temporary, until I decide on brand.

Archived