Anyone tried LED strip lighting?

hobbygodz

Hello forum members. I would like to ask if any of you have tried LED strip lights (in a suitable shroud) for your betta barracks instead of flourescent lighting? I also want to know if these strip lights will run properly from a 12 volt "plug pack" type transformer. As these strip lights are very cheap to buy I am also concerned about their longevity. If someone can answer these questions for me I would be most appreciative. :lol: - Brad.

Not sure, but i've been looking at the work light type for a while and wondering. I think the lifespan is longer than fluoros, but I believe that the lighting intensity and spectrum is not as easy to get right in LEDs. I had a LED-mad relative working on a prototype that would work for nanotanks, but it was stolen (the thieves must be related to the IAL-nappers!) and I'm still waiting on the replacement.

It is very much not my thing, but after going through trying to replicate gro-tubes and daylight, it turns out you need several different colours and types of LED to get anywhere close.

I am just going to try with basic white for illumination in the meantime. I think the little clip on Azoo and Resun models have LEDs, so they should work for that :lol:

I think it was on AL that this was discussed, they have actually put out a LED aquarium light!

'They' is I forget who :lol: But it was high intensity, and highly expensive setup. The ad said the power consumption was tiny compared to fluros, and that the LEDs lasted for years.

They have LED light banks for growing seedlings in hydroponic setups from what I've seen on ebay too.

May be the way of the future . . .

Thanks for your input guys. I should have mentioned in my post that I want the light only for displaying my fish in the evenings. I don't need it for plant growth as the sun during the day is sufficient for my "low light" plants. I am not looking for stong lighting, just something subtle. Any more ideas? :anyone::fish: :confused:

We are talking about two rows of tanks, each tank is 200mm wide x 260mm high. Each row is nearly 1.5meters long,

(7 tanks). Each light would ideally be between 1.4 and 1.5 meters long. Cheers! - Brad. :confused::anyone::fish::fish: :fish:

Dunno if this helps at all. Possibly a bit over bright for what you want...

http://www.divinelighting.com/par-38-led-t...x-1w-p-275.html

Apparently they have a fairly narrow beam, so need to be mounted higher if you want a decent spread. These lights are gaining popularity among reefers, as they can be targeted at particular corals or whatnot, but I imagine, when mounted suitably, would be useful for all manner of aquaria applications...

Edited by Ghengis