Beginner Plants

What plants would you recommend to a beginner?

At the moment i have plastics and silks - that's it. I'd like to start by planting my 3ft tank. It has 11 goldfish living in it. Currently it has a single regular fluro tube for light - but i can get something stronger. The tank has natural small gravel for substrate.

So your thoughts what plants i can't kill please LOL

I am a shocker for killing plants! There's only 2 I haven't managed to kill - anubius & banana lily. The only thing is anubius doesn't need much light, but the banana lily prefers light so they may not always ideally go together. I have anubius in ALL of my tanks & I haven't managed to kill it yet so I would highly recommend it! Even more so if it's grafted onto something (eg driftwood) because you don't even have to worry about keeping it planted. Too easy!

anubias, java moss, jave fern.. common and widdelov...

banana lillies are good

all plants listed are low light plants other than the bana lillies...

for high light plants i would go for a twin barrel globed reflector.. with two 18000k globes... these are very bright and should light ya tank up just nice... dont forget that fetalizers are a must for some plants . though you have a few gold fish in the tank so your nitrate levels should be realativley high. which is good for planted tanks. though too high and it can kill you fish..

hope ive helped...

The best lights for plants are 6500k. You can go up to 10 000k but anything above that is useless. Most plants u find in the LFS i would consider as beginner plants. Get a few and have a go. U'd be amazed at how easy it can be :D

You need something pretty tough to withstand goldies, who IME can uproot plants and also enjoy a nibble. Anubias or java fern on driftwood would be ideal - they can't uproot it, and it's not easy for them to eat it. It's not cheap, but worth it when you consider how many stem plants you'd have to replace ... and how annoying it is to have to stick your arm in to re-plant in winter in an unheated tank! :D. The driftwood can be a real feature in the tank, too. You could also get some java moss and wrap that around driftwood branches, secure with sone fishing line and it should grow into the wood and cover it like a carpet.

some floating duckweed can also help keep your nitrate under control.

Excellent! Thanks for all your advice! I ordered a few cheap plants from Aquatic Dreams so that if they die i have not spent a fortune LOL.

I didn't think of the garbage guts factor with my goldies Lisa LOL Might try some of the plants in my tropical tank LOL and get some java fern for the goldie tank.

Agree with Phil, 65k globes are what you want, but anything up to about 10k are fine. 18k is reef territory.

You will find Elodea and Bacopa super easy to grow also, under almost any light. With your goldie, just be careful that you don't have any very fine leafed plants in the tank. Goldies love too nibble on anything and everything, so tough plants are the way to go....

You need something pretty tough to withstand goldies, who IME can uproot plants and also enjoy a nibble. Anubias or java fern on driftwood would be ideal - they can't uproot it, and it's not easy for them to eat it. It's not cheap, but worth it when you consider how many stem plants you'd have to replace ... and how annoying it is to have to stick your arm in to re-plant in winter in an unheated tank! *lol*. The driftwood can be a real feature in the tank, too. You could also get some java moss and wrap that around driftwood branches, secure with sone fishing line and it should grow into the wood and cover it like a carpet.

Something like this Lisa?

driftwoodfernmoss.jpg

I found this on ebay and snapped it up (and yes i asked permission from the seller to post this pic) for $30 - i thought it was a bargain for a well established piece of this size 320mm x 60mm.

ok, now anubias i agree with. I have quite a few on driftwood and cant kill it. (yet....).

I have however killed java fern (gulp). But supposedly its normally ok. im just useless lol

btw, be careful at petshops AND aquariums ... some sell plants that are NOT designed to be underwater. I spent a LOT of money fitting out a whole tank full of plants from a pet shop a couple years back... they died in about 7-10days. Later found on online that they arent underwater plants (it was purple waffle btw, very pretty but ugh not worth the money ime). So, research what you want. or go to a good reputable aquarium and ASK if they are underwater plants.

The bits and pieces i got from Aquatic Dreams seem to be doing quite well so far - i think there was some banana lillies, corkscrew val and one other tufty-little-grass-looking-thing LOL (i believe that is the latin name bwahahaha :) )

The banana lillies and val even have new little shoots, i was a bit worried about the light levels for the BL but decided to get some anyway as they were only $1.25 each.

Mmmm Elodea is my friend and we have a whole pond outside full of the stuff. Noxious weed or not, my fry love swimming amongst it :) Its pretty hard to kill too, but I dont think we are allowed to sell it or buy it anymore. The state of my pond testifies to why its been classed as a noxious weed!

LOL! A lfs owner, who must remain un-identified, was telling me the other day that a black market in elodea has sprung up, deals are being done out of the back of stores, and large garbage bags are being smuggled across the border!

It's certainly hardy, doesn't much like being dumped from a cold tank into a warm one, but does adjust.

• 2 months later...