no more Peta(&Eric)

Peta

:)

Just Peta now...

the fish that started it all - my betta crazyness... has gone :) No idea why either with this one, he's just been looking more and more 'old' the last few months ... went to feed everyone this morning and when he didn't surface to suffel everything up I knew he was gone :( :( I was kind of hopeing he'd hold out to see our 1 year aversairy but it wasn't to be. :( But we did have a wonderful fun filled 10 months where he taught me so much about fish care and just how nutty fish can be (and also how nutty I can be haha...)

*sigh* I'm going to miss him.

sorry to hear mate... was he a pet shop fish or your own spawned betta?

do you have any pictures we could see of eric and tell us a bit about him...

it happens to the best of us.. were all in a sense just waiting our turn..

take care

I am so sorry to hear about Eric :)

I can only imagine how you are feeling

I am having a hard time with Erroll and he is still alive

so I can x that by 1000

I have some old guys (over 1 1/2 now)

and I go and look at them hopping to see them alive each morning

Bettas typically live no more than 2 years. As with everything, there are always exceptions to the rule!

Breeding puts a lot of mileage on them.

Sorry!!! I got diverted - I'm sorry to hear about Eric, Peta!!

if you click on the vt spawn link at the bottom of my post that has photos of Eric.

I'd never had a pet fish before him, he taught me a hell of a lot. Mainly about how to care for him, what to freak out about and what not to... I can still remeber freaking out thinking he had gotten finrot - when in fact he'd just been a butt head and bitten his own tail! He was a great boy, and certainly got me addicted to betta's wich to some degree is a shame too as it meant I got more fish (way to many haha) and then didn't have as much time to dotte on him... :) I was actually working towards setting him up in his own little tank etc again (he was currently in a bennie box like the rest stored in big tubs with a heater to keep them all toasty warm) ... but ohhh well I do still have a large number of his babies and just this morning said to one of them "boy you look like your daddy" .... will have to find that one again and might keep him.

Breeding puts a lot of mileage on them.

Yeap - he never did look/act the same after he was taken out of the spawn tank.

Sorry to hear that youv'e lost your little friend. Sounds like he died from old age, so he was well looked after. It happens just like you said, they start looking scruffy and get lazy for a few months before they sign off. As Lisa said bettas most usually don't live beyond 2 years no matter how well you care for them. I read somewhere that the world's oldest (documented) betta lived just over 10 years. It was a university pet. Apparently this male betta was exercised daily by chasing it around the tank with a stick, though we would never do such a thing. - Brad

So sorry to hear about your loss Peta :D ... there is definitely something special about the very first one who got you into this obsession hobby.

I too went through this not so long ago and I do now regret not breeding him (we'll... we attempted to but we were both novices at the time so neither of us knew what we were doing). I hope that little guy you have lives up to his dad's name.

Like many of us, I followed his journey through your spawn logs and learned a lot from them... so thank you Eric :rip:

Thanks everyone. I actually have handled it better then I expected to. I think partly due to expecting it and partly due to having gone through it so often now.... (sadly)

We had a good solid 10 months together - and for my first ever fish I think keeping him going that long was a nice achievement.

Thanks guys.

Seems that I always have a 'run' of bad luck with my fish. Last night I had to put my last VT girl (other then my spawn ones) on 'ice' as she just was ballooning and nothing I was doing was working for her .... when she didn't even half heartedly look at her tasty bloodworms last night and just sat in the one spot looking sad... I knew she was going (she's a PIG and a feisty little thing) I decided I couldn't face finding a another fish dead in the morning so helped her along.

So yeap little Rocky went to sleep last night *lol* - she was a crazy fish - the smallest of my girls and the one who'd beat everyone up the most!! I remember when I got her she was TINY - smaller then a coke bottle lid!

She was my 'oldest' girl (last of the ones I brought before moving here) - I only have one boy left who came with me when I moved here....

and here is where my run of bad luck strikes 3!!! - My beautiful boy Frankie - who is now my oldest fish.... I found him this morning with his head jammed into the bottom cap that is on the heater in his tank.... Seems some how the cap has come off the heater and boof head has thought it would be a good idea to swim through the little bitty hole.... well yeah it is till you get stuck and can't get back out!!!

Have no idea how long he'd been like that for. But I had to scope him and the cap out - the plastic was to thick to cut so I had to work out how to get him out. Finally got him out by pushing the cap into an oval shape (*gag*) and he slid right out. Lucky there was a bit of room around the sides so he didn't get squished.... but sadly he came out with a great big ripped chunk off his top line where he got stuck.... So he's now got a nasty big open wound and is in shock. Given that he's one on my neurotic fish who'll bite his own tail at the sligtest bit of stress.... I'm not holding out my hope for him to recover from this misadventure. *sigh*

and worse is - I moved my bennie boxes around after Eric died and Rocky (who had been in a divided tank) went into a new bennie box in the exact same spot where Eric's had gone.... so this morning when I was putting Frankie in a bennie box (as he'd been in a divided tank with my other neurotic betta Emo so I couldn't put him back in there) the only 'free' space in the tubs was the spot where Eric and Rocky had both been.... I couldn't bring myself to put any of the other 'healthy' fish there....

EPP!

ohh well - as I'm actually home sick today I'm going back to bed for some much needed rest after all that. Hope Frankies still with me when I wake up and go check on him.

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

I have NO idea haha - being that he's the second one I've had to preform out of water surgery on because they got their head stuck somewhere!!!

He's still with me but has some cotton/fluff stuff coming off the wound area so being medicated and keeping a close eye on him - if he starts getting worse he may go for a fridge ride - can't stand to see them in pain!

He also lost his ventrals - they where hanging on by threads last night, but I found them at the bottom of the tank this morning. :lol: He certainly did a good number on himself!!!

Sorry to hear about Eric :D I know exactly how you feel, I lost my Proximo not long ago, I will miss him forever.

Hope Frankie recovers, I stepped on a falx (Wild betta) who had found a way out of his tank once and he recovered from his head wound so their is hope <3