Sugestions Please

Bender

I need to get a breeding pair of betta. They need to be of a type I can sell easily, and also get a reasonable price. What would you suggest?

A bit of background info:

For health reasons we will be moving out of our house into a unit, and I have to give up most of my pets. Fish are fine, but I don't usually find caring for them gives me the satisfaction of a pat-able pet. To my delight and surprise I got enormous satisfaction out of raising my first spawn and want to continue breeding them for the foreseeable future. I've not had any trouble selling my crown tails, but the reality is that to keep my hobby going it needs to cost the same as or less than I make back, and at the moment it's not. Now I am all set up, the next spawn should start to cover costs, but getting a good quality pair would definitely help things along in future.

I love most colours and forms, actually can't think of any I don't right now. Basically I need a fish that is stunning enough that even the fry with un-conforming tails are easy to place. That doesn't narrow the choices down much I realise, so I'd like to hear YOUR preferences, and why they are your favorites, so perhaps the points you raise will help me define mine.

well, I am biased because I breed these colours myself, but I love

:) HMPKs

:) Black bettas

:betta: metallic bettas (copper, gold, platinum)

:betta: Dragon bettas (of different colours)

:betta: Marble bettas.

I also love QUALITY CTs (which you rarely see) and would love someone to develop a line with a proper 180* caudal, and in a perfect world, even cross rays! In an actual clean show-quality colour, as opposed to the "blue with red ventrals" you see so often.

I love HMs but would be unlikley to buy any due to the instability of the finnage in my water.

Lastly, I'd love someone to develop a good red line, and/or a good opaque line.

Hi Bender, mabye you could give a thought to breeding the very nice pair of red plakats that someone has for sale. There are not many decent red plakats to be seen at the moment so the offspring should be quite saleable :) . Cheers! - Brad.

The red plakat pair would be cool:) If I'd had room I woulda bought them myself...

Other than that, I'm rather partial to HMPK's, and mine haven't even been out of their eggs for 24 hours yet and I've had to start making a list of people who want them:)

:P Every time I go to someone's shop I end up with a longer list of possibles! Actually what started this thread was looking at the new fish she posted on you-tube yesterday. I decided I needed help.

I don't think I'm ready to tackle long tail HM just yet, so HMPK or CT it is. (that being said, I'd love to own this Ripe Areca Nut pair :))

The reds are nice, can someone with faster eyes than me let me know how far of HMPK this fellow is? Today there is also a new pair of black dragon PK, and a gold dragon female, would they make a good trio? If you spawn black dragons, do you just get the same, or is there some variation in the ofspring?

The black coper red CT is pretty but I think finding him a good mate would be a challenge. Actually, that has defined one preference, I prefer the thick strong ray type to the thin 'fringe' type this fellow has. I also love the balok look.

I would love a pure blue strain of good quality HMCT! Oh, that would also give me turquoise and steel wouldn't it? The only problem is finding the fish to start with, or knowing which fish to use to work toward that goal. A deep solid red strain would also be amazing.

Ok, so with your help I've narrowed it down, a bit. The ultimate goal is a perfect solid coloured HMCT with thick balok cross rays. While I wait for the right pair to start that path, I'll work on PK, preferably HMPK.

Edited by Bender

Hi Bender =)

I am TRYING to do the same aim towards breeding a HMCT with cross rays =) '

I think alon the line the only way to really improve the tails will be to cross out to a HM or OHM, there will be some rosetails, but hopefully also some improved HMCT !

Well Thats the aim =) I have been speaking to a few breeders overseas, and that is exactly what they are doing =) SO might be worth a shot!

I have my eye on a line of KIng cross rays I want to bring into the country as well, been bugging the breeder lol, she has promised she will send some my way when she has available what i want =)

kylie

I am shortly going to cross a black orchid HM female (not yet named) with a turquoise marble CT (Crux), with the aim of getting a greater spread in the finnage. Hope everyone likes/can use combtails as I'll have nothing but them in F1! But with any luck I'll get at least some 180* caudals and can work back to CTs from there.

Ok, now we really do need a picture of Crux! I was thinking we had to go the long way around this and just keep selecting for the biggest tails, totally forgot we could get CT back in f2 crosses from HMxCT. Would all the fish from your pair be marble? If so how would you get back to solids?

Kylie, sounds like you've already worked most of this out! When you say there will be some rose tails, is that from the use of OHM? Will be great if you can bring in some of the KCT, it should help speed up the breeding process quite a lot!

Would all the fish from your pair be marble?

No idea Julia. I imagine not though, as I have 2 lots of juvenile fish now which have some marbles, but not all are marble (i'd take a stab at 25%). There were no marbles in the batch I got the black HM female from, so the only marble would come from Crux's side.

LOL nothing really worked out only in my head LOL

I bought a STunning HM male, orange copper who I call Leaf (his partner is autumn lol )I will cross him with an imported Red copper female who has one of the best spreads I have seen =)

She is a BIG female, so i know the F1 wont be great but hoping to cross that then through and back to crowns. Maybe we should work together Lilly =) I will have solids but COPPER lol u might have marbles =)_

kylie

I GOT FISHIES!

someone had some fantastic fish, but that is a given! I wasn't expecting to buy a pair today, but hubby bought them as a gift. I am one happy girl. They are a lovely copper HMPK pair. I can't get a good pic till Monday, but will definitely be posting some soon.

Thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts everyone!

can't wait to see them!!!

I don't know what I'm breeding next... been trying to work out what I want to go with myself. My black dragons HMPK's are a definite if they ever work out how to actually spawn haha... then I'm thinking of doing a spawn with my babies - my green marble masked boy with his green marble butterfly sisster.. would love to see what those guys come out with.... and even if there would be throw back coppers LOL

I've also got my copper red girl and my 'devil' (black/red copper) boy (HM's) ... hmm maybe I should do up a list of what fishies I do have and go from there ROFL

Edited by Peta(&Eric)