Depression in Betta's

Bender

I'm not sure if this belongs here or should be in the clinic, I have a veiltail that I think is depressed. He has no sign of illness, except he is moping around the bottom of the tank. He has no trouble surfacing or swimming when it takes his fancy, so I don't think its a SBD. I think his mood has been set of by not being able to get to the girl that I put next to him last week. I've moved her now, but there's no change in his mood. He'd blown a thick bubble nest, and seems to be maintaining it, but he looks very sad. I can't put her back as she is going into the spawn tank. I don't want him to get seriously ill or anything, but I can't afford to breed him just to satisfy his um 'fatherly urge'.

What can I do to keep him entertained?

If he stays depressed will he get sick?

I was thinking of hatching some brine shrimp to give him something he can chase around for a while, do you think that would help?

ok well first off you will find that every fish has its own mind set and level of activeness (my oscar is a nut case where as my gold severum boy sulks like a little school girl). he was active before so something is up.

what are the tank stats.:

ph

ammonia

nitrite

nitrate

need to know the layout of your tank also... got any filtration.. if so what is the output?

heating? what temp?

i think something to chase will liven him up though dont feed him too much...

if unhappy then ones immune system is generally lowered... that is i find in humans anyway...

id say it relates to fish as well...

as for the female... do you have another that you can use to excite him... see if there is a change then.. if he sulks away int eh corner and shows no response then he is a very unhappy boy...

try these things and get back to us...

good luck/...

He is a bit better this morning. I put a little girl next to his tank last night, which got him out of the corner at least. This morning I put his thermometer back in his tank, I'd had it out to test his change water, and he's swimming around it like it's a long lost friend. Could it be the thermometer he was pinning after?

The water is all good, although the ph is a little lower than usual, sitting right on 7.

He is currently in one end of a dalbarb tank, one designed to be split into 4 bays. I cut some extra slots in it and made one very narrow bay in the centre with the heater and a power filter from K-mart. On the other side is my little delta Mr Moon. The current is nicely dampened, strong enough at the edge of the dividers that they have to work a little to swim against it, but still enough on top to build a nice nest. There is no substrate in the tank at the moment, just some moss and java fern.

I think a tank mate is a good idea Lilli. He's actually my step-daughters fish, so she would enjoy having him set up in a nice tank with some friends. I'll see what I can put together this weekend.

Hey, I have an orange pineapple VT who gets like that too. He is quite attached to his neighbor and his tank and if I either move him out of the room, move him away from the fish next door or move him to a bigger tank he sulks so badly that his fins clamp up. Its definately not disease though and it took me ages to figure out why his fins keep clamping up and unclamping. He is the most emo betta I have ever met, but yes, in my opinion some of them get attached to some really weird things and even small changes can throw them off. Your boy might benefit from a pet snail or perhaps being moved to a different part of the house.

haha I've had ones like that too... I have my two biggest 'emo' boys in a divided thank together so I can keep an eye on them... they are both fond of chewing their own tails!!!

Hope he's felling better now Julia!