"Bigga is Betta" (show us your giants)

hobbygodz

How many giant betta are out there? Please post a pic of your big boy or girl here, everyone would love to see them. Here are pictures of my new (old) girl and my new young boy.

Picture558.jpg

Picture567.jpg

Cheers All! - Brad. :(

Edited by Brad

If possible, it would be great to see these next to regular bettas for context :(

Here is my giant next to a jarred juvenile betta.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Hello Everybody. These pics are crap but they do serve the purpose of comparing the size of a relatively young giant to a that of a mature betta. These two fish had to be separated by a sheet of paper while I took the photos. When I put the tanks together (without the paper) for a bit of flaring, instantly all hell broke loose. The giant went absolutely beserk at the sight of another fish. I am amazed he was undamaged, leaping into the lids and smacking into the glass really hard. I know that most male betta are pretty aggressive towards each other, but this display was completely :) off the richter scale.

Picture182.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Picture174.jpg

Picture175.jpg

Cheers to all! - Brad.

Edited by Brad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank-you for your concern guys. I have quickly become quite attached to this one, he has a personality all his own. I have treated him with anti-bacterial meds and I am feeding him cooked peas to mabye help clear him out. I don't know what else I can do to help him. The water is all good. The prognosis for dropsy is of course not good, but he is a tough one so we'll see what transpires. Thanks guys, seeya. -Brad. :)

I had a delta with dropsy that I caught reasonably early & I was salt bathing her every single day, but unfortunatley I think I was just prolonging the inevitable. I had to euthanise her last night. I don't know if the salt baths help any with the unnecessary stress it puts on the fish (ie. with being caught & moved around). Good luck though! I hope he pulls through! Fingers crossed.

Thanks guys for your concern and helpful advice. I'm going to remove the antibacterial meds from his tank tonight as it hasn't brought great results, (though he doesn't seem to getting sicker - yet), and dose it thick with almond leaf extract. I have already "flushed" him with cooked pea so I'm thinking the epsom salt may not be required, or is it used as an osmotic bath? I understand a salt bath may remove some excess fluid via osmosis so I may try that next. I do agree bubbsy81 that I am most likely just prolonging the inevitable. Seeya guys,- Brad.

I saw two giants (maybe 3) for sale today in a LFS if anyone is interested it was the Reptile/aquarium right next to the victoria markets in melbourne. They where very dark black/blue in with a trace of red ... 2 where in tiny jars TT_TT hopefully someone is interested and will buy them (one was in a big communal tank and probably female) oh and they where about $20 but the guy wasnt sure :)

thought would be nice to let people know.

Edited by Neffy

Here is the SD (I think he's a HM who has collapsed). Can't get decent photos of the PK, not enough light.

I am uploading a short video of him, should only take about 43 hours .... (stupid slow net).

Here he is.

name=\"allowFullScreen\" value=\"true\"></param><param name=\"allowscriptaccess\" value=\"always\"></param><embed src=\"
type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" allowscriptaccess=\"always\" allowfullscreen=\"true\" width=\"425\" height=\"344\"></embed></object>"> name=\"allowFullScreen\" value=\"true\"></param><param name=\"allowscriptaccess\" value=\"always\"></param><embed src=\"
type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" allowscriptaccess=\"always\" allowfullscreen=\"true\" width=\"425\" height=\"344\"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">